V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Comparison geoslam revo - BLK2go and Navvis VLX

Post by Ioannis »

Hello, I would like to hear your opinion comparing the above three SLAM scanners in the point of accuracy/precision.
Also simple operation, greater versatility, price, and money return.
My thought is to have a Slam scanner as an extra in our toollbox, terrestrial scan it's a must but some indoors or difficult access places are a problem...
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Comparison geoslam revo - BLK2go and Navvis VLX

Post by steves01x »

Ioannis wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:10 am
My thought is to have a Slam scanner as an extra in our toollbox, terrestrial scan it's a must but some indoors or difficult access places are a problem...
Im not sure the Navvis will be the best indoors in difficult spaces as its a fair old size and you "wear" it rather than carry/point it somewhere like the BLK2go.
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

If you are already a Leica user, then go with BLK2go, as you can mix everything into a single registration project. You can literally in a single Bundle within Register360, have Faro Raw format (FLS), BLK2go, BLK360, C series data, P series data and RTC360 data all in together and working together in the C2C routine and targets.

BLK2GO requires some good field methods. But it does mix and match well in Register360 with other scanner data. Basically using your RTC360 or other data to somewhat improve the BLK2GO data. We keep our walks to under 3 minutes both starting and ending with a 15second spin in the Base Puck being in the same location. Thus a 3 minute closed loop walk. That way each walk is like a single little scan station. And can be register to other data. Whereas if you just do one big walk, that is all you have and you just get what you get.... So we really have found it key to do those closed loop walks and keep them to under 3 minutes per walk.
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

I recently purchased a Horizon.
I have little experience, and as usual it takes time to exploit the potential of a new tool, so take my considerations as a first contact feeling.
I think a big plus is intensity (not all have it).
The range is impressive, I started with interiors, but also exteriors are well within the possibilities. I think I'll have a lot of fun also scanning exteriors with this little beast.
I try to keep the scans in the 10 minute range at the moment, closing the loop. Not sure how margin I have to exploit the potential of the scanner, I'm starting at a slow pace, but at the moment it looks like I'm too conservative.
I did a couple of acid tests (exteriors of a small building with a lot of vegetation) and it worked flawlessly.
The software to create the dataset is really fast. Fusing the scans is very easy. I have yet to find a workflow to mix TLS and SLAM, but it's a new ground.
The data is noisier than with a laser scanner, but collections is way faster.
I did a couple of tests this week, doing the same scan (exterior and stairways) both with Faro and Horizon.
I'm curious about the results. I'll let you know.
While mirrors and multiple glass windows create many artifacts interiors are well represented and fastly done.
If you check side by side the same apartment done with a TLS and a SLAM the difference is clear. Question is: do you really need the cleanliness of a terrestrial scanner? Is the huge time saving an advantage, and the noisier result an acceptable tradeoff?
In my case the answer is often: yes
I'm sure in the future in many situations the terrestrial scanner will be left in the box, or used only for a fraction of the full project..
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

max72 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:48 pm I recently purchased a Horizon.
I have little experience, and as usual it takes time to exploit the potential of a new tool, so take my considerations as a first contact feeling.
I think a big plus is intensity (not all have it).
The range is impressive, I started with interiors, but also exteriors are well within the possibilities. I think I'll have a lot of fun also scanning exteriors with this little beast.
I try to keep the scans in the 10 minute range at the moment, closing the loop. Not sure how margin I have to exploit the potential of the scanner, I'm starting at a slow pace, but at the moment it looks like I'm too conservative.
I did a couple of acid tests (exteriors of a small building with a lot of vegetation) and it worked flawlessly.
The software to create the dataset is really fast. Fusing the scans is very easy. I have yet to find a workflow to mix TLS and SLAM, but it's a new ground.
The data is noisier than with a laser scanner, but collections is way faster.
I did a couple of tests this week, doing the same scan (exterior and stairways) both with Faro and Horizon.
I'm curious about the results. I'll let you know.
While mirrors and multiple glass windows create many artifacts interiors are well represented and fastly done.
If you check side by side the same apartment done with a TLS and a SLAM the difference is clear. Question is: do you really need the cleanliness of a terrestrial scanner? Is the huge time saving an advantage, and the noisier result an acceptable tradeoff?
In my case the answer is often: yes
I'm sure in the future in many situations the terrestrial scanner will be left in the box, or used only for a fraction of the full project..
Massimo
Hi Massimo, did you try the revo or revo RT befote you made your purchase?

I have tried the Revo RT, and I like having the realtime visualization, I wonder if with the horizon not having this has been a challenge for you.
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

Hi Massimo, did you try the revo or revo RT befote you made your purchase?

I have tried the Revo RT, and I like having the realtime visualization, I wonder if with the horizon not having this has been a challenge for you.
[/quote]

Can I ask if you test them (revo or rt) with terrestrial scanner data? The results is acceptable? I have shown differences in small houses 2-3cm. But does it worth in the end to carry on a heavy Leica scanner in order to have a clear pointcloud?
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Augusto 3D »

I did register them to my TLS. (Revo RT). We actually did real case study on a project to infill and scan rooms we didnt get to scan with the TLS. We even did the exterior with the Revo. It did well outside scanning a facade but its an interiors scanner, or does better indoors.

Back to your question, the data was stop on to where we were able to do our work based on the slam scans. I want to try the horizon. I hate that is it not an RT, but apparently the slam is so good l, and so is the range that is it difficult to mess up a scan? I guess just remember what rooms you scanned and where you did your loops...
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by max72 »

crullier wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:08 pm
Hi Massimo, did you try the revo or revo RT before you made your purchase?

I didn't try the Revo. I opted for the Horizon because I'm used to intensity scans and my feelings are intensity is a big bonus, maybe seldom used, but in case very useful. Range and speed are quite different too.
The absence of the RT feedback has not been an issue at all.
I try to slow down when I cross doors, orient the scanning head in order to get both sides as I would do with a TLS. I try to adapt my path when encountering mirrors.
I have yet to try a draft registration on the field.
At the moment it registered flawlessly, and a cross check of a rather complex exterior with a closed loop done with Faro proved to be very accurate. Both planimetry and façade are excellent.

I know limits and strengths of my Faro, so I think I'm pushing it. It feels like the Horizon in my hands is not starting to sweat yet..

Massimo
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Augusto 3D »

max72 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:29 pm

I didn't try the Revo. I opted for the Horizon because I'm used to intensity scans and my feelings are intensity is a big bonus, maybe seldom used, but in case very useful. Range and speed are quite different too.
I try to slow down when I cross doors, orient the scanning head in order to get both sides as I would do with a TLS. I try to adapt my path when encountering mirrors.
At the moment it registered flawlessly, and a cross check of a rather complex exterior with a closed loop done with Faro proved to be very accurate. Both planimetry and façade are excellent.

I know limits and strengths of my Faro, so I think I'm pushing it. It feels like the Horizon in my hands is not starting to sweat yet..

Massimo
Thank you for the response. I tried the RT which collects 43K points per second and I have the feeling that even indoors a horizon with 10 times the points per second will provide a much denser point cloud (I rather decimate, bc once in the office you can't add more data lol). At 400,000 pts per second, it is like mobile BLK360 which is not bad at all. I also think that having intensity can be useful in those times when you need to understand what you looking at, even when having photo references. I appreciate you sharing that you haven't had any issues not having the RT display. I think that you just need to be conscious of how you are walking and where etc.

Do you have any of the camera options, do you think they are useful?

Most of the work we do is interiors and use the TSL outside and on large areas, but if we get a horizon, I am thinking that we would probably also shelf our TSL for most jobs...
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by max72 »

crullier wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:02 pm
max72 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:29 pm

Massimo
Thank you for the response. I tried the RT which collects 43K points per second and I have the feeling that even indoors a horizon with 10 times the points per second will provide a much denser point cloud (I rather decimate, bc once in the office you can't add more data lol). At 400,000 pts per second, it is like mobile BLK360 which is not bad at all. I also think that having intensity can be useful in those times when you need to understand what you looking at, even when having photo references. I appreciate you sharing that you haven't had any issues not having the RT display. I think that you just need to be conscious of how you are walking and where etc.

Do you have any of the camera options, do you think they are useful?

Most of the work we do is interiors and use the TSL outside and on large areas, but if we get a horizon, I am thinking that we would probably also shelf our TSL for most jobs...
I have the Zeb Cam.
It's useful to click on the path and load the video from that position.
Not sure about colorization, but I'm not really a color guy..

I did a couple of quick tests on exteriors, and it result is excellent. Moreover the environment was rather complex (vegetation, complex paths..).
Next step is to find a workflow to align TLS and Geoslam clouds, even if I think I'll use progressively more the Horizon and less the Faro.

Massimo

Return to “General Chat”