Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

C10 servicing being phased out

Post by smacl »

I saw the following post from "RJ" - Richard Johnson over on linked in declaring that the option to have C10 units serviced is coming to a close shortly. Sad news, while it is an old unit I know a lot of people still getting great use out of this kit in the field. Great piece of kit for all sorts of precise engineering work and there have been some great bargains second hand.

Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning

Re: C10 servicing being phased out

Post by Mike Annear »

Hmm, the C10 was released in about 2010 from memory for $150,000 AUD PLUS a Cyclone license, annual CCP etc.
I feel sorry for the small companies who lashed out and bought them, also the Universities etc.
Do we now have to ask the what the "lifespan" of equipment is when we buy it ?
My 4.5 liter Toyota Landcruiser Ute is older than the C10 and I can still get parts for it :)
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Mike Annear wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:40 am Hmm, the C10 was released in about 2010 from memory for $150,000 AUD PLUS a Cyclone license, annual CCP etc.
I feel sorry for the small companies who lashed out and bought them, also the Universities etc.
Do we now have to ask the what the "lifespan" of equipment is when we buy it ?
My 4.5 liter Toyota Landcruiser Ute is older than the C10 and I can still get parts for it :)
Mike.
It will be interesting to see if and when Right to repair legislation comes into play in this industry.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Graham
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: GrahamM
Company Details: AVEVA
Company Position Title: Software Engineer

Post by Graham »

How many iPhone have you been through since 2010. This does not excuse anyone, just symptomatic of our throwaway society
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

Graham wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:11 am How many iPhone have you been through since 2010. This does not excuse anyone, just symptomatic of our throwaway society
I get your comparison, but at the same time why should a scanner be compared to a mobile phone. I get why Leica do it, they want users to upgrade to the new scanners as soon as possible, but it is also disappointing because this isn't just a piece of technology you buy because you want the 'latest' one, it is a serious investment for a lot of companies and is used to provide a service and in return, make revenue. I think comparing is a fair comparison, it is an essential bit of kit for a lot of people, and for the finances invested, you would expect to get a few more years out of it. There will be several people out there who have maintained and cared for their C10 and will now be forced to spend a very large sum of money on a newer model and no, the RTC and BLK's do not compare to the C10.
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

Graham wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:11 am How many iPhone have you been through since 2010. This does not excuse anyone, just symptomatic of our throwaway society
iPhone cost 500€ and Leica 80.000€ it’s not the same
Eamonmac
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Eamon Mac Auliffe
Company Details: Ncwsurveys Ltd
Company Position Title: Operations manager

Post by Eamonmac »

stutosney wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:47 am
I get your comparison, but at the same time why should a scanner be compared to a mobile phone. I get why Leica do it, they want users to upgrade to the new scanners as soon as possible, but it is also disappointing because this isn't just a piece of technology you buy because you want the 'latest' one, it is a serious investment for a lot of companies and is used to provide a service and in return, make revenue. I think comparing is a fair comparison, it is an essential bit of kit for a lot of people, and for the finances invested, you would expect to get a few more years out of it. There will be several people out there who have maintained and cared for their C10 and will now be forced to spend a very large sum of money on a newer model and no, the RTC and BLK's do not compare to the C10.
I get that the C10 has a good fan base and you are obvisouly a fan, but why in your opinion does the RTC not compare ?? Is it down to the lack of a DAC ?? I know the BLK wont compare as it is a diffrent tool for different applications.

Just curious auld stock !!
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Eamonmac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:03 pm
stutosney wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:47 am
I get that the C10 has a good fan base and you are obvisouly a fan, but why in your opinion does the RTC not compare ?? Is it down to the lack of a DAC ?? I know the BLK wont compare as it is a diffrent tool for different applications.

All isn't about speed. From what i've heard the C10 delivers very crisp data, not possible with a RTC for very tight engineering purposes.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

Eamonmac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:03 pm

As Lieven said, the data quality from the C10 is a lot better than the RTC can achieve, plus the C10 has a dual axis compensator, allowing for highly accurate scanning whereas the RTC cannot do this. Don't get me wrong, I like the RTC and use it a lot, but it has it's limitations. I haven't used a C10 in a long time, but regularly use the P series variations. Leica have been very clever in their marketing with the RTC but the truth of the matter is, if you need high accuracy, survey grade scans, it is either the P series or the C10 (from Leica anyway, other brands do provide this as well), the RTC cannot give the same results.
MajorDomo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Major Domo
Company Details: VeritasVfx
Company Position Title: ceo
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by MajorDomo »

Sad news, but somewhat expected.
I spent many hours using C10's and despite their lack of speed when compared to the more current devices, the results were always very good.

The RTC is a completely different type of device, the C10 can only be compared to the P40 really in terms of range, ruggedness and being impractical as hell to carry around.

Return to “General Chat”