From a simple video to an academic discussion all Lidar related

To chat about anything else.

Would you like to see the option of raw data exports from more manufacturers?

Yes, I could utilize the raw data in many ways.
100%
No, I don't really need that, or it would take too much time for me to figure out.
No votes
I don't need the raw exports as long as the adjusted intensities could be determined and applied in the manufacturer's software.
No votes
Indifferent or struggling to see the value.
No votes

Total votes: 14

jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: From a simple video to an academic discussion all Lidar related

Post by jedfrechette »

smacl wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:39 pm I got a 64gb E57 file from Daniel Loney over the weekend and have been having a look at the performance of the last public implementation of LibE57
<...clip...>
If anyone would benefit from a copy of the optimised library for their own testing purposes please let me know.
I'm sure the currently developed fork:

https://github.com/asmaloney/libE57Format

that is the basis for e57 support in CloudCompare and PDAL would be happy to get a pull request. I think most of the work they've done is general cleanup and bringing the code up to modern standards. I think there have been some performance improvements compared to the original reference implementation, but it would certainly benefit from somebody taking a serious look at that aspect.
Jed
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: From a simple video to an academic discussion all Lidar related

Post by smacl »

jedfrechette wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:09 pm
smacl wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:39 pm I got a 64gb E57 file from Daniel Loney over the weekend and have been having a look at the performance of the last public implementation of LibE57
<...clip...>
If anyone would benefit from a copy of the optimised library for their own testing purposes please let me know.
I'm sure the currently developed fork:

https://github.com/asmaloney/libE57Format

that is the basis for e57 support in CloudCompare and PDAL would be happy to get a pull request. I think most of the work they've done is general cleanup and bringing the code up to modern standards. I think there have been some performance improvements compared to the original reference implementation, but it would certainly benefit from somebody taking a serious look at that aspect.
Just had a quick look at that implementation and the code is very different, quite possibly a lot better, than the branch I've been working on. I'll compile it up and do some comparisons when I get some free time again.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “General Chat”