I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Ralph V Pendergraph
Company Details: PTS Land Surveying
Company Position Title: Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Surveying cloud software

Post by Ralphieboy »

Hello,

I hope all are well and thanks in advance. I am interested in Land Surveyor user experience on point cloud software. Are there systems without subscription/maintenance(or whatever you want to call it), that take the common formats from the scanner to cad, without plugins or add-ons? Happy to pay for innovation as it comes. I plow a big percentage of my income back into technology each year.

I would be most interested in SW that streamlines the Surveyors work flow. Preferably with the standard registering/classifying/sampling features, and streamlined extraction of 2d/3d curb and other common features in our flow. Not asking for much, eh? :D

Thanks again for the help!

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Surveying cloud software

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Ralphieboy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:02 pm
Hello,

I hope all are well and thanks in advance. I am interested in Land Surveyor user experience on point cloud software. Are there systems without subscription/maintenance(or whatever you want to call it), that take the common formats from the scanner to cad, without plugins or add-ons? Happy to pay for innovation as it comes. I plow a big percentage of my income back into technology each year.

I would be most interested in SW that streamlines the Surveyors work flow. Preferably with the standard registering/classifying/sampling features, and streamlined extraction of 2d/3d curb and other common features in our flow. Not asking for much, eh? :D

Thanks again for the help!
I'm dreaming for this for 7 years now. It just doesn't exist. You need to use a combination of softwares for different delivarebles.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP USA
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Post by Scott.Warren »

There are many different avenues to scanning as a surveyor.
I'd recommend looking into the following vendors, as they each have a hardware with good companion software, and have a sales pitch for surveyors
Leica - RTC & P-Series scanners, cyclone software
Faro - lots of options of scanner, Faro Scene software
Trimble - X7, TX7&8 with Realworks software
Reigl - a different breed of long range scanners, RiScan software

They all have pros and cons, and there are lots of users here of each 'ecosystem'. There are other options, but those suggestions can handle survey-controlled laser scanning.

An option is also a scanning total station - Leica MS60 or a Trimble SX10 (The Eye of Sauron). its a total station that can perform light laser scanning duties.

The majority (i hope) of surveyors who scan utilize control targets in some form. 2 main types of targets are spheres (3D) and chevrons (2D-flat). You want an independent check on your data, get your total station out and locate the targets (relfectorless, measureups)

Leica likes partitioning their software into different modules, means my annual subscription is a short list of 5ish licenses that I need to do all my tasks. Can't say for other brands price schemes and menu boards.

Many choose to mix scanners with 3-rd party software, and that is A-OK. Sometimes the smaller software companies provide the best solutions as they work more directly with clients than the larger companies which can be slower to adopt functionality and features. There are options to import clouds for Microstation, Autocad, and most other drafting software, these formats tend to be easily accessible freely, with paid plugins making life easier (eg: topodot, cloudworx).

Give it some time and vendors will show off their curb extraction tools, I'm sure.

That should give you some things to look into, with some familiar survey company names and some new ones. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list.

smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Scott.Warren wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:34 pm
Give it some time and vendors will show off their curb extraction tools, I'm sure.
Yes indeed, never miss an opportunity to promote our curb and white line extraction in SCC :)

youtu.be/wsSpAer1hO0

While I entirely get not wanting to pay for software subscription, there is a huge amount of innovation going on in point cloud software at this point in times in terms of automated productivity, performance and integration with the latest hardware. This in turn can deliver serious competitive advantage and for the smaller developers such as ourselves, the money gets plowed right into the next set of enhancements.

Ralphieboy
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Ralph V Pendergraph
Company Details: PTS Land Surveying
Company Position Title: Manager

Post by Ralphieboy »

Thanks all, for your sage advice! It feels like we are just a little way on the journey with the software side of scanning. Based on my limited diligence, and experience and your comments. I guess we won't want it be so automated that it takes us out of our profession :o

smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Ralphieboy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:40 pm
Thanks all, for your sage advice! It feels like we are just a little way on the journey with the software side of scanning. Based on my limited diligence, and experience and your comments. I guess we won't want it be so automated that it takes us out of our profession :o
I think if anything the increased level of automation will bring far more work to the laser scanning sector as it gets broader application and makes conventional topographic surveying by total station and GPS far less attractive by comparison. There are also an increasing list of applications that really only work well with a high level of automation, e.g. motorway surface condition analysis, floor flatness, tunnel wriggle surveys, kinematic envelope clash detection, etc... Just a guess, but I think a lot of point cloud processing will be focused around application and quality assurance of complex automated extraction and analysis techniques going forward rather than joining the dots to build CAD drawings and BIM models.

steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

Get your scanning/registration work flow nailed (Cyclone core user here, cant fault it).

Then decide which is your best option for getting your data in to production - remember your probably cheaper buying a 2nd work station to export/convert/import files than sticking to the full Leica/FARO suite of software which do not work with likes of EdgeWise, N4CE, Pointools etc.

But if i was only scanning and AutoCad then Leica Cloudworx would be 1st on my list.

Return to “General Chat”