V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Field Vehicle of Choice

Post by brian715 »

Right now we are using a full size half ton truck with a shell that was previously used as a survey crew chiefs vehicle as our vehicle for terrestrial scanning. We carry a couple of Tri-Max tripods, a few GPS rods, 10 or so cheap camera tripods, three boxes of Koppa targets, a faro X330, and a couple of carbon fiber tripods for the scanner and camera.
We are doing a lot more work in urban areas that require us to park in parking garages and such and are wondering what everyone else is driving around that might be smaller and more suitable for what we do. We still do a fair amount of work on highways and in areas that 4wd is a must. Thanks for your opinions in advance.
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Field Vehicle of Choice

Post by TommyMaddox »

Maybe a subaru forester? Not super pricey and seems to have good cargo capacity. Seats appear to fold completely flat vs some other suvs that don't fold flat or at all.
DiBart
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: William DiBartolo
Company Details: Mott MacDonald
Company Position Title: Land Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Field Vehicle of Choice

Post by DiBart »

I switched from a pickup to a midsize van for my scanning field vehicle and its been working out great.

A Nissan NV200 or Ford Transit Connect would meet your storage space requirement (provided you build a custom equipment box for the tripods) and I have no problems to parking in a city garage, however the small vans don't have a 4wd option. I believe the Mitsubishi Sprinter is the only 4wd van, but it is larger so you'll probably have to pay a surcharge to park in a city garage.

Return to “General Chat”