Comparison of the Selected State-Of-The-Art 3D Indoor Scanning and Point Cloud Generation Methods

To chat about anything else.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Comparison of the Selected State-Of-The-Art 3D Indoor Scanning and Point Cloud Generation Methods

Post by Scott »

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/9/8/796/htm
Products tested: TLS, Vilma, Würzburg backpack, NavVis, Matterport, Slammer, Zebedee, Pegasus, Stencil

Abstract: Accurate three-dimensional (3D) data from indoor spaces are of high importance for various applications in construction, indoor navigation and real estate management. Mobile scanning techniques are offering an efficient way to produce point clouds, but with a lower accuracy than the traditional terrestrial laser scanning (TLS). In this paper, we first tackle the problem of how the quality of a point cloud should be rigorously evaluated. Previous evaluations typically operate on some point cloud subset, using a manually-given length scale, which would perhaps describe the ranging precision or the properties of the environment.
"All methods in this study were treated equally as black box systems, as commercial methods typically are like that. The results from three distinct test sites reveal strengths and weaknesses for the tested methods and are summarized in Table 5. Here, the word experimental denotes a platform built for scientific work."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
walkerrichard
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Richard Walker
Company Details: Point Cloud Solutions
Company Position Title: Canadian Distributor for GeoSLAM Scanner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Comparison of the Selected State-Of-The-Art 3D Indoor Scanning and Point Cloud Generation Methods

Post by walkerrichard »

The GeoSLAM (Zebedee) did a great job in this study - and as noted in the study, they used a commercially wound-down Zeb 1 model (value at report writing maybe $15K USD). For them not to note pricing of the technology is a shame - because the Pegasus results really didn't outshine GeoSLAM mobile work at $300K-$400KUSD more! That's a lot of cake difference.

RW
Metroplex360
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chris Hickman
Company Details: Metroplex 360
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Comparison of the Selected State-Of-The-Art 3D Indoor Scanning and Point Cloud Generation Methods

Post by Metroplex360 »

The final results in the article show horrible results for the VILMA and some spikes for Matterport. The article states that this is due to operator-originated effects - which seems to indicate that proper use of the devices would have drastically changed results.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

Thanks for sharing this, that's a really good paper.
Additionally, a 4 m-long end of one corridor is missing due to, apparently, a SLAM registration issue. In other words, the resulting Würzburg backpack point cloud in Figure 21 is affected so that the end part of the hallway is warped several meters and looks shorter than it should.
This is my experience with GeoSLAM, it's very "black box" and we had to re-run the registration a number of times to get acceptable results.

I think the new Leica RTC360 is so fast that it almost qualifies as mobile mapping and will produce much nicer results for internal building surveys. It's certainly going to be my weapon of choice when it comes out.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

Jamesrye wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:33 am Thanks for sharing this, that's a really good paper.
Additionally, a 4 m-long end of one corridor is missing due to, apparently, a SLAM registration issue. In other words, the resulting Würzburg backpack point cloud in Figure 21 is affected so that the end part of the hallway is warped several meters and looks shorter than it should.
This is my experience with GeoSLAM, it's very "black box" and we had to re-run the registration a number of times to get acceptable results.

I think the new Leica RTC360 is so fast that it almost qualifies as mobile mapping and will produce much nicer results for internal building surveys. It's certainly going to be my weapon of choice when it comes out.
Yeah, and if your wheeling it on a dolly through a structure on each floor.....
Brett
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Brett D
Company Details: Omega Geomatics
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Brett »

Most of those trolley based systems look completely impractical for undertaking a Building Survey.
Sent from my Sinclair ZX Spectrum+ using tapatalk

Return to “General Chat”