V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Which scanner allows traversing

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Good discussion. My goal is to traverse through a site (building, road or forest) with a start- and endpoint which will be definately measured, some traverse points in between when possible to avoid placing multiple spheres and moving them around.
I'm not interested in corrected station points on site but will calculate these through my sureying software. So i'm in need of HA, VA en oblique distance measured on a prism.
The placing of spheres is cumbersome especially in busy and dense situations with people knocking or moving the spheres.
A system like the leica M series and new trimble are exluded as the speed of scanning isn't like a normal scanner and i already have all the traditional surveying gear and software.
Free stationing would be a nice feature but i'd prefer traversing.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

"Traversing" with the C/P series Leica's still requires you to be able to see multiple targets per station .. although I suspect the distances are a bit better than spheres? We get about 110 - 120m with the C10's for example to a 6" target. Minimum two per station .. prefer 3+ for redundancy .. and I mentioned before about a traverse "mesh" .. in some stations you might pick up 6 targets say linking multiple loops together. Cyclone does a great job with this ..

I guess traversing can be defined as in-instrument or in-office. The result is exactly the same - scans go together - same as if you do a traverse adjustment when you get back in .. you have placed targets, read to them, booked the results and calc'ed it.

With our targets we have added brass spacers etc to match instrument heights so we all the tape measures work, forced centering is an option etc. Not an issue if I recall with the new P40 - the targets now match? With the tribrachs we can obviously replace with a prism if working in conjunction with a total station, we also have the smart handle so we can put a prism on the scanner and read to it as well if we are really motivated.
Scan-Ninja
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Fabien
Company Details: Amec Foster Wheeler
Company Position Title: Geomatics Project Manager

Post by Scan-Ninja »

I have used the Leica P20 for traverses and sideshots, just like a total station. There is not much difference compared to conventional surverying. You get a closure, same concept of a closed figure traverse or open end traverse. We get as good as of a closure and in most cases better compared to a total station. You need less targets (backsight and foresight target). You get a registered data at the end, get a sketch, make adjustments with the Leica Pseries. We use the traverse method very often with most of our non DOT projects, and it works great.
ChrisHarris
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Chris Harris
Company Details: Trimble
Company Position Title: Sales Account Manager - Geospatial EMEA

Post by ChrisHarris »

jcoco3 wrote:James, I think you just confirmed much of what I said about "traversing" with a laser scanner. Thanks :) Seems like it is a far cry from traversing with a total station.
You could try a Trimble SX10. Fully robotic total station and 360° scans in minutes. Because it is a total station you get all the traditional setup methods, resections, traversing, network adjustments etc... If you then require further adjustment in the office then the scan data is adjusted for you.

Its a great piece of kit.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

I mentioned the SX10 earlier in the thread, but he doesn't like the low capture rate.
ChrisHarris
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Chris Harris
Company Position Title: Sales Account Manager - Geospatial EMEA

Post by ChrisHarris »

For traversing its quick!!
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

My objective is to traverse with a scanner and measure the start and endpoint (or points in between) with a total station or gps and digital level.
I have already got the other equipment. If i need to traverse for construction layout or something which requires mm-precision i would use a total station.
As mentioned in https://laserscanningforum.com/forum/vi ... 47&t=11009 thread i find combi instruments like a combi-oven, seperate machines run better.
Also the speed of scanning is too slow. These instruments Trimble SX10 or Leica M-series might have potential clients for them but i am not one of them. No offence for people who use them.
Processing doesn't need to be on site. I rather have full control behind my pc.
No users of the GLS-2000 as all of my opther gear is Sokkia-Topcon.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Scan-Ninja
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Fabien
Company Details: Amec Foster Wheeler
Company Position Title: Geomatics Project Manager

Post by Scan-Ninja »

landmeterbeuckx wrote:My objective is to traverse with a scanner and measure the start and endpoint (or points in between) with a total station or gps and digital level.
I have already got the other equipment. If i need to traverse for construction layout or something which requires mm-precision i would use a total station.
As mentioned in https://laserscanningforum.com/forum/vi ... 47&t=11009 thread i find combi instruments like a combi-oven, seperate machines run better.
Also the speed of scanning is too slow. These instruments Trimble SX10 or Leica M-series might have potential clients for them but i am not one of them. No offence for people who use them.
Processing doesn't need to be on site. I rather have full control behind my pc.
No users of the GLS-2000 as all of my opther gear is Sokkia-Topcon.
Then your best option is a Leica P series scanner (In my opinion and by experience). I have done exactly what you are wanting to do. Traverse, set side points that I can go back to, even a conventional surveying crew could use.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

From SPAR, today:
Low-Cost Lidar Changes the Game for Service Providers
http://www.spar3d.com/blogs/confessions ... providers/
Excerpt:
"For years I have disparaged Leica’s onboard Traverse and Resection tools, as I had Cyclone’s Virtual Surveyor tool. I viewed them as marketing gimmicks to hook land surveyors into scanning. Gimmicks that, in my opinion, kept these surveyors from learning the better methods of data capture and field methodologies that I had learned from marine and offshore scanning techs–guys who looked at land surveyors as crude measurement guys with dirt on their boots!"
Jason H
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Jason Hayes
Company Position Title: Product Manager 3D Scanning Software

Post by Jason H »

Not sure if you are using Trimble RealWorks with the TX5 but in version 10 there is a station setup routine to mimic the workflow you would use in the field with a total station. This is useful for scanners that don't have this capability built in. You can select a control point from a list or manually enter the coordinates for the instrument and then select a back sight from the scan. You would need to keep field notes of the scanner heights and the target heights so that you could enter them back in the office. This would at least enable you to avoid putting out so many spheres and also ties you to control points at the same time. I don't remember if there is a height measurement mark on the TX5 or FARO scanners so you might need to find that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Chat”