Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Spot Rigs the Game

Post by Scott »

Boston Dynamics' Robot Dog Starts New Work On BP Oil Rig
https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/bo ... bp-oil-rig
The virus pandemic is accelerating the trend of robots replacing humans in the workplace. One robot that is quickly being adopted by mega-corporations is Boston Dynamics' compact four-legged robot, called Spot.

June was the month when Boston Dynamics began selling Spot. By July, Ford Motor Company received the robot dog, equipped with five cameras to survey its Van Dyke Transmission Plant in Michigan.

Ford employed the four-legged robot over human surveyors to save money and time. The Michigan-based automobile manufacture isn't the only company embracing robot dogs to complete mundane tasks generally performed by humans. Reuters notes BP Plc has programed Spot to "read gauges, look for corrosion, map out the facility, and even sniff out methane on its Mad Dog rig."

Cont... w/ 5 min. video
Leandre Robitaille
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician

Re: Spot Rigs the Game

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Well... I still have about 30years till my retirement. Hope I can ride the wave and not loose my job as a surveyor. Wish there will be a somewhat of a revolution, some sort of "human only accepted" type of client haha.

Interesting stuff nevertheless. Makes a lot of sens to have a drone like that accessible from anywhere in the world that can be used by anyone to manually inspect a specific area. It would defenitivelly work for small 3d scan survey (not huge c2c surveys, but small c2c survey it would be great, bigger surveys you will need targets)
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Spot Rigs the Game

Post by Scott »

Hot Spot Report
https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/bo ... yl-reactor
Boston Dynamics' Robot Dog Builds "Radiation Map" Of Chernobyl Reactor
Spot, the autonomous robot dog, from Boston Dynamics, was equipped with radiation sensors to create a map of the radiation coming out of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, according to news agency Ukrinform.

Researchers at the University of Bristol and nuclear experts from the State Specialized Enterprise "Central Enterprise for Radioactive Waste Management" recently deployed the four-legged robot to the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant Zone that has been abandoned since the catastrophic meltdown in 1986. The site has since been covered up with layers of steel and concrete to keep nuclear material from escaping into the atmosphere.

Weekly measurements around the Chernobyl site are mainly done by humans, which puts them at risk, unlike Spot, a robot who could do so without putting humans in grave danger of radiation poisoning.

cont...

Return to “General Chat”