I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Brian Hope
Company Details: Hope CGI LLC
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Hello from Arizona

Post by B Hope »

Hello all,

Thanks for this (LSF) remarkable resource. I've been following discussions and trying to understand as much as I can before soliciting advice.

I have never so much as seen a laser scanner in person, but am no stranger to construction. I owned a small remodel/reno business for many years and recently gave up the heavy lifting in favor of design/drafting. I now create design review documentation, permit plans and photo-real renderings for contractors, real estate professionals and property owners in the residential sector. Most of my work involves drawing as-builts and I do it via the cave man method of laser and tape measure. Software tools are AutoCad, Revit, and 3ds Max.

I am looking to add laser scanning to my workflow in the name of speed, accuracy, and quality. I do understand there will be a huge learning curve. As a new business, cash flow isn't there yet so I can neither afford nor justify the purchase of the latest and greatest scanners. So I am looking for suggestions regarding older used equipment to learn on. Ebay seems to regularly have listings for older Leica Scanstations in the $5K range and I can comfortably do up to about $10K. However, I don't know what to look for or appropriate questions to ask the seller. Or is buying equipment like this off of Ebay (vs. financing newer used equipment) just a bad idea? I would appreciate any insights.

Best Regards,
Brian
Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Hello from Arizona

Post by Rikore »

Brian,
The only issue with buying an older scanner off of Ebay, is it may not do what you want it to. Older scanners can be slow and you may find yourself thinking I can do it by hand faster. Also if the scanner has had a lot of use, it may need to be calibrated. That can cost upwards of five thousand or more. There is also software to process the point clouds which can be pricey. My suggestion would be to call a few companies selling new and used like Leica, Faro and others. The sales person can detail all that is needed. They should be able to match a scanner with a price that would do the job for you. Perhaps the Leica BLK360 would work or an older Faro. Get demonstrations on the equipment. Better to spend the time and get what you need to do your work.
MajorDomo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Major Domo
Company Details: VeritasVfx
Company Position Title: ceo

Post by MajorDomo »

Those instruments are cheap for a reason...actually a number of reasons usually...
Slow, heavy,potentially some parts have outlived their usefulness, most come with no software.
If your cash flow does not allow to purchase just yet, then rent a current generation scannerto see if it does what you need, or you are ready to deal with it. You may decide it's too much of an hassle in the end, and just go with a reflector-less total-station for instance.

The Leica BLK will probably do what you need done to do to be fair, and there are some good deals on them to be had.
gabrio
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gabrio Rossi
Company Details: Intellegere srl
Company Position Title: technical director

Post by gabrio »

Hi Brian,
in my humble opinion, starting from a preowned terrestrial laser scanner and basic registration software (at least cloud to cloud registration feature) means not less 25k euro budget. sorry for my words.

ciao

Gabrio

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
arch. Gabrio Rossi, MRICS
[email protected]

Passaggio dei Canonici Lateranensi n. 4
24121 Bergamo - Italy

+39.035.601.1492
B Hope
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Brian Hope
Company Details: Hope CGI LLC
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by B Hope »

Thank you, all, for your advice.

Actually, your comments are pretty much what I had expected to hear. Unfortunately, I simply cannot justify expenditures in the +$20K range right now. I had considered financing a BLK360 but I am reading more negative than positive reviews, both here and elsewhere. To be fair, however, I'm sure this instrument is worlds better than my current methodology.

I am also looking into total station -> Faro As-Built platform. I would like to hear from those with thoughts about going that route.

Best Regards,
Brian
Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head

Post by Rikore »

Brian,
Total stations have their use and you can get pretty fast with them. However, if working alone, then you need a robotic total station with a data collector. This can cost in the tens of thousands. More likely more than a BLK360. Also when locating a building corner, you have to take the prism into account. Accuracy may not be as great as the scanner. How plumb do you hold the rod, etc. Perhaps leasing or renting a scanner to start may give you more information as to how much time you can save. There must be a few firms that have scanners in your area, contact one and see if you tag along to see the time savings.
Flem3000
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chris Fleming
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: Area Sales Manager US and Canada

Post by Flem3000 »

Hi Brian, I am the West Coast Regional Manager for FARO and I live in Phoenix. If you would like information on our scanner or software offerings, please send me a note at [email protected].

Return to “Introductions”