Full Name: Fred
Company Details: Private
Company Position Title: Pvt
Skype Name: fbez101
Linkedin Profile: No

Greetings from South-Africa

Post by [email protected] »

Hi All,

My name is Fred, I'm 44 years old and from South-Africa.
I am about to enter the world in 3D scanning.
My backround:
Design draughtsman (Designer), Civil, structural, mechanical and piping. 22 years working for EPCM companies (mining, process plants, petrochemical and Pharmaceutical)
In the last 2 to 3 years I have mostly work for myself servicing smaller clients that requires help with smaller projects and don't want to make use of large EPCM's as the costs are too high. This is where I would like to focus the medium size companies that do not have engineering departments and do not want to permanently employ people to do this. I mostly work on existing expansion projects where engineering drawings does not exist (so this requires a lot of site measuring up hense the requirement for 3D scanning).

I need advise regarding:
Equipment, software and hardware.
I am looking at the Faro focus 3D s120 laser scanner and the freestyle 3D handheld.
I have read a lot on processing requirements and need help selecting a suitable laptop and desktop and the scene software (need recommendations regarding software).
Can the scans be done by me and the point clouds processed by an outsourced company that specializes in it (this will save me buying expensive PC and software?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Fred
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Greetings from South-Africa

Post by Scott »

[email protected] wrote:Can the scans be done by me and the point clouds processed by an outsourced company that specializes in it (this will save me buying expensive PC and software?
Welcome to the forum!
To answer your last question -it is possible to have others process your scan data, but you will not fully understand the workflow unless you do the work yourself for a while. I've learned more from the registration process than from doing the actual scanning. You don't need a workstation to do the registration in FARO Scene -just have at least 16gb of RAM and a decent i7 processor. There are many threads on hardware requirements found on the forum. Good luck!
NOVAMECH
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nick Bush
Company Details: NOVAMECH
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: novamech5
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by NOVAMECH »

Welcome to 14 hour days, returning to the office to work until midnight. Nothing about running a 3D scanning business is easy, cheap or quick. :D - I hope you are dedicated, or at least motivated.
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by steves01x »

As has been said, process your own scans - you will learn so much more about the scanner and best approaches in the field. Check your work in the field... as you never know when you might miss something or get a dodgy scan etc

My laptop was about £1600 over a year ago from (https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs ) and it can handle pretty much everything i have thrown at it in Cyclone and Scene. One area i wish i had upgraded was a larger SSD drive and the 2nd drive should of SSD also.

Return to “Introductions”