V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Richard Merrin
Company Details: Fugro
Company Position Title: Data Processor _ Project Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scanning Etiquette

Post by richard_m »

I guess there isn't a specific etiquette, it depends on the location. In 20 years I never done any kind of instrument-based survvey in a public space without someone questioning me but 99% of the time its just people being nosey. You know - the ones that prefix their noseyness by saying "hope you don't think I'm being nosey, but.."

Certainly Gov / Military / Petrochem sites you should be careful and, bizarrely Churches protect their image rights quite agressively althought this is realistically limited to big pointy cathederals etc rather that the parish church.

Ultimately, you're not technically using a camera, when you point out you're using a lazer to measure a particular thing almost everyone is disarmed and wanders off.

My general rules are:

Dont ask. If you ask some security muppet for permission then you're opening up a whole pile of problems, unless you need to actually physically access the property just do it and sort the questions later..

Get hi (viz). The more hi-viz clothes you can possibly put on the better as the more hi-viz you become you basically become paradoxically invisible to most people.

Avoid the public. They're idiots, all of them. If possibble avoid using careful positions and times of day. Use physical barriers freely.

Handbags. Its rare for anyone to walk into your kit directly but a bulging handbag / shopping bag just IS going to hit the tripod. Big pointy sticks are always useful kit..

If you're bored/pissed off here's a fun amusement. When you see the drunk/p.i.t.a. public walking up to your scanner just shout loudly "STOP! LOOK OUT FOR THE LAZER!" and try not to laugh as they throw themselves to the floor like a grenade is about to detonate. Honesly, I've a good few scans now of people lying on the floor :twisted:

Good luck

Richard
AppendixB
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Robert Chandler
Company Details: Appendix B Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by AppendixB »

Thank you Richard. I did my first out in the public post card scene venue in Paternoster Square in London this weekend. I was surprised how many people were around at silly o'clock in the morning. Guess that is my clipping box noise reduction homework sorted.
Every ones comments have come to fruition. I met the nosey, drunk (I didn't do as you suggested though).
More high viz for my next outing.
Robert
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

richard_m wrote: Handbags. Its rare for anyone to walk into your kit directly but a bulging handbag / shopping bag just IS going to hit the tripod. Big pointy sticks are always useful kit..

Richard
It always seems that a tripod is for a passing person as is a red flag for a bull. If you have 0,5m between the tripod and the wall and 5 meters on the other side, they try to squeeze themselves in this 0,5m.

All non-surveyors and non-scanner operators are morons :D
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

Only place i have ever had someone accuse me of filming / taking their photo was in London when scanning the externals of a building that was part of a larger project - all security/staff etc knew who we were and what we were up to. Good security makes your life so much easier on jobs that have lots of keys!

This lady spoke little English, was extremely paranoid and started filming me - told her to go call the police or i will since there appears to be such a problem. She left. :lol: Had someone else come up to me and ask if we were going to stop the car the sped past - sadly we had to tell her we were not the police!

Apart from her its just semi interested people... or general idiots that stand right in front of the scanner and almost kick the tripod.

Return to “Introductions”