Mobile Scanning with a Faro X330

ABA Mobile Mapper, IGI StreetMapper, Leica Pegasus One & Two, MDL Dynascan, RIEGL VMX450, STORMBEE BEEMOBILE, Topcon IP-S2, Trimble MX50, etc.
Aaron_Hazen
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Aaron J.R. Hazen
Company Details: Coast 2 Coast Surveys
Company Position Title: Senior Project Manager - 3d Architecture
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Mobile Scanning with a Faro X330

Post by Aaron_Hazen »

The hijacking isn't too irritating. I don't mind looking at new tech every once in a while. :lol:

Anyways, I saw the MIT backpack, but the drift from it looked too strong. From my understanding, a mobile scanning device needs a correction from gps or possibly from another tracking source to correct for the drift. Gps however, is not accurate indoors.

Thanks for all the ideas though
Aaron Hazen
Senior Project Manager

[email protected]
http://imgur.com/a/CzfH4
andyevans
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andy Evans
Company Details: Topcon
Company Position Title: Product Manager - Mass Data

Post by andyevans »

To be fair Oliver, you answered a specific part of the question, highlighting mobile scanning solutions with the x330.

I didn't see any real answer for the indoor solution part of the question. So the "hijacking" seemed like a fair comment to me.

I love the concept of the Zeb1, although it wouldn't be my tool of choice, as it seems pretty noisy to me, and the action doesn't suit me. Statistically though the data seems good, and the way it works is an awesome application of slam.

Aaron, I saw a few posts promoting UAS as the tool of 2015, I think JReigard is on track with his comments, although that Backpack scanner solution looks as cumbersome as the massive one man cameras you see in the rugby grounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
andyevans
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andy Evans
Company Details: Topcon
Company Position Title: Product Manager - Mass Data

Post by andyevans »

However, I'm not sure I'll find these on geo-matching......I'd need to click to check!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Aaron_Hazen
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Aaron J.R. Hazen
Company Details: Coast 2 Coast Surveys
Company Position Title: Senior Project Manager - 3d Architecture

Post by Aaron_Hazen »

The UAS looks very practical for certain situations! Notably for me, the exteriors of tall buildings.

However I think it has some downfalls for my industry... For very large complex indoor scanning jobs, especially in factories or on rebuilds where you have workers in the building, doors that need to be unlocked, and narrow stairwells that need to be traversed.

I think something that I carry on my body would be preferable for these situations.
Aaron Hazen
Senior Project Manager

[email protected]
http://imgur.com/a/CzfH4

Return to “Mobile Scanners”