DJI drops scanner

ABA Mobile Mapper, IGI StreetMapper, Leica Pegasus One & Two, MDL Dynascan, RIEGL VMX450, STORMBEE BEEMOBILE, Topcon IP-S2, Trimble MX50, etc.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

DJI drops scanner

Post by jamesworrell »

20mp + 240k points a second. Giddy up.

https://www.dji.com/au/zenmuse-l1

And about time for high(er) res camera .. 45mpix

https://www.dji.com/au/zenmuse-p1
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: DJI drops scanner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

5cm accuracy horizontal and 10cm vertical.

Stick with drones dji and let lidar to people who know their business.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

The P1 looks way more interesting than the L1.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jamesworrell »

For what I imagine the price point is going to be for this thing - I reckon they are pretty impressive specs. Lets be honest here, if you are throwing up a drone to do scanning, you are already satisfied with decimeter accuracy - otherwise you would be doing terrestrial.

The lidar unit from DJI - the Livox - is $1300 .. so it is certainly going to throw a cat in the pidgeons.

I assume the accuracies quoted are post-processed - so the IMU specs are yaw 0.08°/ pitch roll 0.0025. That looks close to the APX-15 EI UAV. What accuracy do you get out of the minivux? Datasheet doesn't say - talks only about laser component - not system accuracy - so rtk accuracy? IMU?

The minivux is like $250k? Half that can be the IMU. What this thing going to be? $20k? $50k? All depends on two things - the IMU and "profit because they can".

Let's face it - most of the accuracy of the overall system has "nothing" to do with the laser - it is mostly down to the IMU. And given the unit is solid-state - the angular encoders are out of the equation - the unit would be lab calibrated which is really interesting I reckon.

And if they have gone with Applanix, expect to see a high accuracy unit launched later with the better IMU for more $$'s.

And agree - the P1 is also pretty cool. Shame it wasn't 80mpix or so.
bstocker
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Ben Stocker
Company Details: Skender
Company Position Title: Construction Technologist

Post by bstocker »

DJI said the pricing will be "no more than $17,000" for the L1, and "no more than $8,500" for the P1. They said the price is not finalized yet. This info is from a live presentation I attended (virtually) yesterday.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

jamesworrell wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:20 pm For what I imagine the price point is going to be for this thing - I reckon they are pretty impressive specs. Lets be honest here, if you are throwing up a drone to do scanning, you are already satisfied with decimeter accuracy - otherwise you would be doing terrestrial.

The lidar unit from DJI - the Livox - is $1300 .. so it is certainly going to throw a cat in the pidgeons.

I assume the accuracies quoted are post-processed - so the IMU specs are yaw 0.08°/ pitch roll 0.0025. That looks close to the APX-15 EI UAV. What accuracy do you get out of the minivux? Datasheet doesn't say - talks only about laser component - not system accuracy - so rtk accuracy? IMU?

The minivux is like $250k? Half that can be the IMU. What this thing going to be? $20k? $50k? All depends on two things - the IMU and "profit because they can".

Let's face it - most of the accuracy of the overall system has "nothing" to do with the laser - it is mostly down to the IMU. And given the unit is solid-state - the angular encoders are out of the equation - the unit would be lab calibrated which is really interesting I reckon.

And if they have gone with Applanix, expect to see a high accuracy unit launched later with the better IMU for more $$'s.

And agree - the P1 is also pretty cool. Shame it wasn't 80mpix or so.
You cannot compare a minivux with this piece of crap. Excuse my words.

30 years ago everybody bought a ruler or tape measure and everyone who used it measered 1m when it was 1m. Maybe 1mm due to circumstances. Now all this gear produces different results.

A client doesn't know with which instrument his survey has been done. Everyone will jump on the bandwagon to buy this gear and delivering faulty data.

Technology must move forward but not this way and don't tell the story about making it possible for everybody. Measuring is a serious business as is all other industries.
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jamesworrell »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:06 am You cannot compare a minivux with this piece of crap. Excuse my words.
Why not? Ultimately they do (much) the same thing - so naturally a comparison has to be/can be made. I didn't propose to do the comparison and rule them equal by any means.

You can buy a Ford Fiesta or a Bentley - both are cars and can be compared - just depends on how the user wants to get from A-to-B and at what price. The choice of which to buy is ultimately up to the purchaser and their needs and business case etc - and good for them whichever they choose.

Granted the quality of both build and data will be/may be vastly different, but so too is the price - round numbers 10-to-1 it seems.

Given the lack of sample data and the not even seeing one, "piece of crap" is also a little harsh for the time being. Range error seems to be about 15mm vs 30mm - the gap might not be _that_ big.

For 900 grams - including gimbal, lidar doing 240,000 pts a sec, that seems pretty impressive for sub-$20k out of the gate.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

jamesworrell wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:39 am
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:06 am You cannot compare a minivux with this piece of crap. Excuse my words.

You can buy a Ford Fiesta or a Bentley - both are cars and can be compared - just depends on how the user wants to get from A-to-B and at what price. The choice of which to buy is ultimately up to the purchaser and their needs and business case etc - and good for them whichever they choose.
The user always wants correct data. I haven't had a client in my career that said : "oh deliver me some data but i don't care about it if it's correct".

My profession is going down the drain. It's very sad. And lot's of professional people don't even care it's going this way.
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Post by Scott.Warren »

jamesworrell wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:39 am

I think with your comparison its more like comparing a motor scooter to a car. They aren't in the same category for what they can do, but they will get you A to B and both have wheels.
sheartab
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Sheartab
Company Details: Arch Eng Design Firm
Company Position Title: BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sheartab »

jamesworrell wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:20 pm ...so it is certainly going to throw a cat in the pidgeons.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Mobile Scanners”