RTC360 vs RTC360LT vs X7

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.
uriga
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Andrew
Company Details: DeBra Kuempel Inc
Company Position Title: BIM VDC Manager
Skype Name: n/a
Linkedin Profile: Yes

RTC360 vs RTC360LT vs X7

Post by uriga »

I've recently been tasked with purchasing an appropriate scanner.

I'm at a Mechanical contractor working in new construction and retro fit of everything from lite commercial office buildings to heavy industrial, processing, steel mills, and power plants. We've been using Fabrication CADmep, Revit, Sysque, and Trimble RTS's to complete our workflow of piping and sheet metal coordination/installation.

With the rapidly increasing power and accuracy of 3D scanners on the market we're ready to dip our toes into some capabilities that many of us have long awaited.

90% of our perceived scanner use would be for retro fit jobs using the scanner for avoidance only with a few non critical tie-ins mixed in. The rest of the time we will use the scanner to scan areas of power plants and processing facilities that are otherwise inaccessible and use the scans to precisely route/model piping for pre-fabrication.

I've narrowed my search to these three scanners based on Leica's solid name and reputation and the fact that we have a familiarity with Trimble in the form of our RTS 773's and the Sysque software.

Since you're pretty much tied to the software side of these companies as well I'd love to hear from anyone who's used BOTH Cyclone and Realworks. I myself have used Realworks for a bit in the past and I find that functions like cropping the scan, and sampling back the data in certain areas (like a floor, who needs millions of points to depict a floor?) would be essential to my decision.

Between the RTC360 and LT versions on paper, the only difference I can see it the PPS rate, is there something else I'm missing?

While I see "game changer" thrown around a lot with the Trimble X7, I'm concerned that it's too new and that not enough companies have significant experience using it.

I would ask that price NOT be factored into anyone's decision.

Thanks so much for your time and opinions.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Re: RTC360 vs RTC360LT vs X7

Post by stutosney »

I have always used Cyclone and still am, but switched to Realworks at my last employer for about a year. I was always hesitant as it 'wasn't Leica', but it really surprised me. It's different to Cyclone but works really well and has some good features. I also used the Trimble scanners (not the TX7) and again, was surprised at their quality. I can't comment on the latest round of scanners as my experience is limited, but I would say both Trimble and Leica are doing very good things at the minute, healthy competition!
uriga
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Andrew
Company Details: DeBra Kuempel Inc
Company Position Title: BIM VDC Manager
Skype Name: n/a

Post by uriga »

Thank you, that’s good to hear!
MajorDomo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Major Domo
Company Details: VeritasVfx
Company Position Title: ceo
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by MajorDomo »

uriga wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:38 pm With the rapidly increasing power and accuracy of 3D scanners on the market we're ready to dip our toes into some capabilities that many of us have long awaited.
The accuracy of those 3 isn't great. They are quick and convenient, but that is where it ends.
If you need accuracy - especially level and plumbness - then you are barking up the wrong tree as far as the RTC is concerned. Within Leica you have to look at the P30 probably.
Can't comment much about on the X7, having not used one, apparently they correct for level and plumb, but looking at the spec sheet the 3d accuracy,just like the RTC isn't great...

Get a demo of the units, and test them end-to-end, it might be they suit you just fine.

Also consider that the X7 apparently exports a bunch of formats from the tablet, so you could import into Cyclone if you so wished.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Difference between RTC360 and LT version:

What is the difference between the RTC360 and the RTC360 LT?
When comparing the RTC360 laser scanners side by side, they look very similar however there are two key differences – one difference is visible to the eye and the other is not visible when looking at the product exterior:

• Difference No. 1: When looking at the housing of the RTC360 LT, you can see that it has no Visual Inertial System (VIS) functionality. This means that the RTC360 LT doesn’t have the five VIS cameras which are visible on the housing of the RTC360.

• Difference No. 2: The second difference is not visible from comparing the scanners side by side, yet it is noticeable when in the field as the registration process is a little longer than the RTC360 – it’s the scanning speed. The RTC360 has a scanning speed of 2 million pts/sec and the RTC360 LT has a scanning speed of 1 million pts/sec. This is half the speed of the RTC360, and yet the captured scan data is not compromised.

https://leica-geosystems.com/products/l ... d_rtc360lt
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

If we can not see sample data we can not decide, also prices, software support, and yearly calibration must be a serious issue to decide someone!
One advantage until now of x7 is that we do not want to send it back to the factory for calibration.
Also, the price of approximately 35000 euro+VAT buying a new unit included software and tablet. Let's see..
Until know as a Leica user knowing well that the calibration of P40 is 2000 euro yearly plus shipping to Switzerland plus VAT.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Ioannis wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:17 pm If we can not see sample data we can not decide, also prices, software support, and yearly calibration must be a serious issue to decide someone!
One advantage until now of x7 is that we do not want to send it back to the factory for calibration.
Also, the price of approximately 35000 euro+VAT buying a new unit included software and tablet. Let's see..
Until know as a Leica user knowing well that the calibration of P40 is 2000 euro yearly plus shipping to Switzerland plus VAT.
You know you can run check & adjust on the Pxx? If you require certification, then that's a different matter (send it to the factory (Silver Cert), or send to Cologne for a Bronze level certification instead (cheaper and less time-consuming) and if the unit is not within calibration it would be sent to Switzerland))... I wonder how Trimble will deal with the aspect of "not having to send it back to the factory"? Will the user be able to generate a report that is acceptable to local ISO standards?
ChrisHarris
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Chris Harris
Company Details: Trimble
Company Position Title: Sales Account Manager - Geospatial EMEA

Post by ChrisHarris »

Hello Uriga!

Whilst any post I'd put on here is always going to be a bit biased, I'd say if you're considering a scanner like this then you should try them all. I wouldn't let the fact the X7 is new put you off - you're right it is brand new (a new form factor for Trimble) and not much real 'mass' user experiences yet but the X7 project was a long one and featured a lot of Beta testing, not to mention all the countless demo's, tests and trials since it's launch. The X7 has had really excellent feedback from customers both Trimble and Leica.

Please try it out and let us know what you think!!

Chris

Return to “Opinion Polls”