Scans to floor plans and building elevations Q

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Scans to floor plans and building elevations Q

Post by LPaulCook »

I have looked at several programs for extracting 2D building plans, floor plans, building elevation plans, roof plans etc. from my point clouds. I use the FARO x330 scanner and SCENE software.

So far Pointfuse and PointCab look interesting but I'm not sure of the clarity of their .dxf or .dwg exported files. I like their expressed automation, simplicity and speed of extracting building data but I'm not use how good or useful the results are yet.

My clients are architects and structural engineers that are not point cloud uses. Some use Revit but most use standard cad programs. Accuracy is important to them as new plans can not be any more accurate than the as-is plans they start designing with.

Which program do you like best for 2D vector building as-is plans extraction and why?

Thank you for your help.
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: simon judd
Company Details: Precision Air Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Scans to floor plans and building elevations Q

Post by Simon Judd »

Paul

We have been digitising 2d/3d plans, elevations and 3d models in autocad for a number of years now, using various plugins over this period.
Just under 2 years ago we came across Undet for Autocad. This is a simple but very powerful plugin that allows the manipulation of scan data inside of Autocad (other platforms are available and coming online) to aid the production of the type of deliverables i think you are after.

We too provide building plans, elevations sections and models to architectural firms looking to start their designs with a good set of as built plans.

Aurelijus is the product manager and they are a forum sponsor, you can find them on the forum where you can organise a trial version, with Aurelijus taking you through the installation and how to get started.

They also have a you tube channel etc showing what the product is capable of.

The pricing structure is pretty good to boot aswell.

We are Faro users but the plugin deals with most of the vendor formats and transfer files.

I hope this helps in some way.

Simon Judd
Aurelijus
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Aurelijus Petraitis
Company Details: Undet Point Cloud Software
Company Position Title: Product Manager

Post by Aurelijus »

Paul,

As Simon mentioned do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] and I will send you all the information for the starter.

If wondering what our existing users say about us, within the following campaign you can find several case studies derived by some of our UK clients:
http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u=94 ... 67769478ed
Regards,
Aurelijus Petraitis
Undet Software Team
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

I use rhino with arena plugin and pointcab.
In both cases there is not an automated process.
If I have to create the plans I use Rhino and Arena. The flexibility with slices is awesome and the workflow is fast and easy. I use it also for terrain, thanks to arbitary slice directions. You can add visualarq too to have a revit/archicad style tool chain.

With pointcab I can create raster slices, and send them to some clients that have the capability to work with this kind of deliverable, and they will extract plans and elevations as required. In my experience the expertise required is seldom available... But this is another story, your mileage may vary.

When I create the plans, if the pointcab output is not too big I combine it with the point cloud from the arena plugin. Rhino embeds in the file the images, and saving a 1 GB of file for a couple of lines is not the best approach.
On the other hand with arena the point cloud is an external reference ans is not affecting the file size.

Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

I use pointcab and kubit pointsense at the moment.
With the kubit stand-alone software Virtusurv you can draw from this package to autocad with macro's. Every scan is transfered to some kind of photo where you can click the desired points. Pointsense can detect segments of lines and automatic fillet them.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
JoshK
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Josh K
Company Details: Complete 3D Concepts
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by JoshK »

Autocad has built in tools for this now. (2016.) check out this vid on how they work. might be good enough for your purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ibC2qu ... HcX1Uxw843

Return to “Opinion Polls”