Road scan

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.
alex_rossi
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Alessandro Rossi
Company Details: Visual Arte
Company Position Title: Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Road scan

Post by alex_rossi »

Hello everyone,
A client asked me to scan a road that connects two country villages (about 50 km). What solution do you recommend to adopt to scan it in the shortest possible time and also have good accuracy? I was thinking of using a drone to combine with scans made with the Leica Pegasus Backpack, what do you think?

Thanks
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Re: Road scan

Post by max72 »

Drone + GPS for control points
or
Drone RTK/PPK

The most difficult part is to have all the authorizations.

Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

50km. Mobile mapping for sure
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

alex_rossi wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:42 pm Hello everyone,
A client asked me to scan a road that connects two country villages (about 50 km). What solution do you recommend to adopt to scan it in the shortest possible time and also have good accuracy? I was thinking of using a drone to combine with scans made with the Leica Pegasus Backpack, what do you think?

Thanks
For 50km of roads with good accuracy, multiple passes using the vehicle mounted Pegasus 2 or Pegasus 2 Ultimate would be a better option than the backpack. Both the sensors and imaging will provide more data to a higher degree of accuracy. While you can get good ground information with a very high end drone using photogrammetry, you need laser scanning to properly capture detail like overhead lines. Depending on the width or the corridor you're surveying, the drone could be good for filling in the data not visible from the road. I'd recommend talking to Simone Oppici on this for the most practical solution, [email protected]
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: Mike Annear
Company Position Title: 3D Modeler

Post by Mike Annear »

I would also look at the solutions available from Riegl, I have seen some huge projects done with their systems here in Australia.
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
danny75
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Donato
Company Details: iMAGE S
Company Position Title: Business Developer

Post by danny75 »

Buongiorno Alessandro,

può contattarmi all'email donato.marcantonio(AT)imagesspa.it?

Grazie e buona giornata

Donato
sioppici
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: simone oppici
Company Details: Leica Geosystems
Company Position Title: HDS Businnes Development
Skype Name: sioppici
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sioppici »

Buonasera Alessandro,
come indicato da Shane mi puoi contattare direttamente alla mail, oppure se preferisci al cell +39 3347628193.
abbiamo la possibilità di utilizzare tecnologie molto differenti tra loro dal drone ad ala fissa a sistemi mobile mapping, in funzione delle necessità di progetto.
Saluti
Simone
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: Vitruvius Ltd
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Post by stutosney »

I would recommend any Mobile mapping system from Leica (Pegasus), Trimble (MX9) or Riegl Mobile mappers, all will do the job quickly and accurately, providing you have the necessary control
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

stutosney wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:10 am I would recommend any Mobile mapping system from Leica (Pegasus), Trimble (MX9) or Riegl Mobile mappers, all will do the job quickly and accurately, providing you have the necessary control
I think you need to look at the specifics of the devices as much as the manufacturer. For example the Leica Pegasus Swift is not comparable to the Leica Pegasus 2 or Leica Pegasus 2 Ultimate in terms of accuracy or data quality. The same is true of lower end Riegl products which cost a lot less than their top end products for a good reason. For survey grade mobile mapping you want clean data, which is usually delivered by a profiler rather than multi-head puck, with high accuracy and well defined intensity returns. When evaluating a mobile mapping system the first thing I do is look at a few thin slices along a road and look at definition of kerbs, or a rail and look at definition of rail head profile. I then turn on intensity values and see how clearly road markings are defined. Where overhead lines are required, e.g. rail electrification, I then look at definition of overhead lines in the model. Any road job will also have multiple passes to deal with scan shadows created by vehicles, pedestrians etc... so I also use thin vertical and horizontal sections look for height differences between passes. This is not only affected by the quality of the equipment but also the quality of the control, the speed at which the data is collected, the calibration of the kit and QA and processing carried out when creating the point cloud.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: Vitruvius Ltd
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Post by stutosney »

smacl wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:29 am
stutosney wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:10 am I would recommend any Mobile mapping system from Leica (Pegasus), Trimble (MX9) or Riegl Mobile mappers, all will do the job quickly and accurately, providing you have the necessary control
I think you need to look at the specifics of the devices as much as the manufacturer. For example the Leica Pegasus Swift is not comparable to the Leica Pegasus 2 or Leica Pegasus 2 Ultimate in terms of accuracy or data quality. The same is true of lower end Riegl products which cost a lot less than their top end products for a good reason. For survey grade mobile mapping you want clean data, which is usually delivered by a profiler rather than multi-head puck, with high accuracy and well defined intensity returns. When evaluating a mobile mapping system the first thing I do is look at a few thin slices along a road and look at definition of kerbs, or a rail and look at definition of rail head profile. I then turn on intensity values and see how clearly road markings are defined. Where overhead lines are required, e.g. rail electrification, I then look at definition of overhead lines in the model. Any road job will also have multiple passes to deal with scan shadows created by vehicles, pedestrians etc... so I also use thin vertical and horizontal sections look for height differences between passes. This is not only affected by the quality of the equipment but also the quality of the control, the speed at which the data is collected, the calibration of the kit and QA and processing carried out when creating the point cloud.
Hi Shane, absolutely, my examples were based on someone having knowledge of the systems, so I probably should have worded it better. When discussing MLS and Leica, I generally only refer to the Pegasus II and the Riegl VMQ-1HA

Return to “Opinion Polls”