Scanning Workstation

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
m1payne
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Michael Payne
Company Details: Heading and Associates
Company Position Title: Laser Scanning and Monitoring Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Scanning Workstation

Post by m1payne »

Good afternoon,

We are in the market for a new workstation for our laser scanning & MLS department.

Wondering if you guys would have any recommendations as to spec? I’m no IT expert. Will obviously need a large amount of storage, ram and a decent CPU for point cloud processing, but I’m unsure of things like graphics cards or other items which may be critical. I guess I need to know where to spend money and where not to.

Anything advice/things to be aware of will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
MichaelKassler
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Michael Kaßler
Company Details: Neuruppiner Industrieverlagerungs- GmbH
Company Position Title: Surveying Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Scanning Workstation

Post by MichaelKassler »

Hi Michael

Ha a look at this thread:
https://laserscanningforum.com/forum/vi ... orkstation

Sincerely Michael
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Also worth noting that many high-end PC parts, particularly good GPUs, are scarce and overpriced at the moment so you really have to shop around. I picked up a decent and well priced Lenovo i9 10900k with 64gb on Amazon last week to replace an older workstation I use for testing but will be putting a GPU I already have in it. It is worth finding out if the software you are using is CPU, GPU and/or disk intensive as this will greatly affect what you can get for your budget. If you let us know what software you're using people might be able advise a bit better.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

You can get a lot of work station for the £4 to £5k including vat from Scan - https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs

Unless you need something mega for huge data sets from photogrammetry / mobile mapping you will probably get best value on something with 128gb ram, up to 12gb graphics card, decent processor and some SSD.

But we ordered a laptop and there is a big delay with the their cases/shells for custom builds.... stuck on a ship somewhere! :lol:
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

steves01x wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:07 pmYou can get a lot of work station for the £4 to £5k including vat from Scan - https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs
With respect, I think they're chancing their arms on the pricing on the high end stuff. I had a quick look at their 3XS Threadripper 3960X workstation which they have listed for £7,098.06. Putting the same component list into PC part picker gives £5113.91 including shipping. Even at that, the build uses a £2,111 Quatro RTX 5000 GPU that may not be a great way of spending money for many applications.

Their lower end Intel based stuff stacks up better against a self build prices, but again you need to look at the parts you're getting and why you do or don't need them, particularly the GPU. I'd suggest the OP asks there software manufacturers what benefits a high end GPU will bring and similarly lots of threads and memory.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

smacl wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:17 pm
steves01x wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:07 pmYou can get a lot of work station for the £4 to £5k including vat from Scan - https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs
With respect, I think they're chancing their arms on the pricing on the high end stuff. I had a quick look at their 3XS Threadripper 3960X workstation which they have listed for £7,098.06. Putting the same component list into PC part picker gives £5113.91 including shipping. Even at that, the build uses a £2,111 Quatro RTX 5000 GPU that may not be a great way of spending money for many applications.

Their lower end Intel based stuff stacks up better against a self build prices, but again you need to look at the parts you're getting and why you do or don't need them, particularly the GPU. I'd suggest the OP asks there software manufacturers what benefits a high end GPU will bring and similarly lots of threads and memory.

When i got my workstation last year, i was roughly about £300 more to buy it built with a basic warranty than attempting to build it all my self. I think the mining community have snapped up everything before prices went up! :lol:
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

steves01x wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:47 pmWhen i got my workstation last year, i was roughly about £300 more to buy it built with a basic warranty than attempting to build it all my self. I think the mining community have snapped up everything before prices went up! :lol:
Yep, the miners have all the decent mid-range GPUs and production has slumped with the pandemic. I think we'll see a flip of this in about 6-18 months so I'm putting off a big upgrade myself until then. Still looking forward to seeing how my cheapo ~£1,200 Lenovo i9 performs as a testing rig. Mad to see the i9 as a budget chip when it was so sought after up until very recently.

I find the benchmarking stuff on here really useful, notably Dennis and Daniel's contributions. Too much time in the surveying industry makes me want to measure everything before trusting the pundits. While hard to get at the moment, I'd be keen to see how the Ryzen 5950x does with point cloud applications. Very well I'd suspect but until you see the measurement data, who knows.... I'd also suspect the RTX cards don't do that much for our industry where ray tracing isn't really any kind of a bottleneck for us, big memory GPUs could be a major plus going forward.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
m1payne
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Michael Payne
Company Details: Heading and Associates
Company Position Title: Laser Scanning and Monitoring Manager

Post by m1payne »

smacl wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:57 am If you let us know what software you're using people might be able advise a bit better.
We will be using Register 360, Cyclone, Pegasus Manager (MLS), Recap, and Autocad.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

m1payne wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:55 pm
smacl wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:57 am If you let us know what software you're using people might be able advise a bit better.
We will be using Register 360, Cyclone, Pegasus Manager (MLS), Recap, and Autocad.
So far as I know the Leica stuff favours large fast storage (e.g. decent spec 2TB nvme drive), plenty of memory and a decent multi-threaded CPU. I don't think it relies on a good GPU for computation but it will certainly help display speed during editing. To confirm this, I'd check out some of the more experienced Leica folks, Cesar Almeida is a good point of contact for Reg 360 and Cyclone, Antonio Mendes is the expert on all things Pegasus. Not sure about Recap, others here might chip in on whether it is GPU heavy or not. Again, I think it is more bottlenecked around CPU and storage but others here will know this way better. Autocad relies on single threaded speed and makes use of the GPU for display but not for computation.

Also worth knowing is how big are your scan jobs (e.g. number scan stations, total number of points, GB in storage in a specific format, or KMs of road or rail for the Pegasus). Additionally, what type of budget do you have and are you likely to be adding drone based photogrammetry into the mix in the near future? With modern workstations, price / performance gradient can get very steep on some components like high-end GPUs, while you can often get a lot of extra performance for not much extra outlay on things like multiple nvme drives for data, temp files and software.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Post by JNally »

I have just ordered a new machine and will be building it next week.

i9 10850k
Noctua DH12 CPU Cooler
64GB DDR4 possible upgrade to 128GB next year when needed
Nvidia Quadro RTX A4000 16GB GDDR6
500GB M.2 NVME for C Drive Samsung 980Pro
3x 1TB M.2 NVME Drives Samsung 980Pro
Asus M.2 PCI-e add in card
1000w 80+ Platinum Power supply (forget the brand name think its corsair)
Corsair Obsidian 750D Case

Also picked up 2 x 32" LG 1440p Monitors because why not.

All in under 4k inc Vat

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”