Faro Scene Multi Core Info

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Philip Weyhe
Company Details: 3DGS
Company Position Title: CTO
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Faro Scene Multi Core Info

Post by fillway »

silviaks90 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:27 am Hey guys,

Over the last couple months I have been working on de-bottlenecking registration and processing times with various builds and testing it in everyday work. To answer the original question, in C2C registration, it would seem Scene will take advantage of all cores/threads thrown at it as evidenced by the 1950X results and usage. It would seem however in this land, speed is the king and as such I have moved on, currently I'm running an i9-7900x OC'd to 4.7ghz, I will post up some results once my Rampage Extreme board arrives. But for now..lets just take a moment and check out how crazy this thread usage is..
Have you tried out the Threadripper platform at all? I jumped on it (preordered status) last fall. I've been pretty impressed with it so far.

Really great post by the way.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
bruce_raymond
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Bruce Raymond
Company Details: 3DP Inc
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Skype Name: bruce.r.raymond

Post by bruce_raymond »

Hi all - in 2012 I did a computer build in corroboration with Oliver B. & the Faro guys.. using a HP Z800 as the basis.. finally ended up with a dual Xenon X5690 (6 cores each) for a total of 24 threads + 96gb of DDR3 RAM. GPU NVidia Maximus...at the time it was the fastest Faro Scene processing machine globally.. so guess what - I am still using the same unit - and it still is incredibly fast.
At work here they just received a new dual I7 quad core with 64GB of DDR4 Ram, and NVidia K5000 GPU... & my tank is still faster... PM me if you want to chat.. I'm not a salesman - just an end user..
Greetings Oliver
Bruce Raymond
Adair Engineering
California
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture

Post by ericguizzetti »

cfoster wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:00 am My processing computer uses 100% of 12 cores, 12 threads, and I’ve maxed out 128 gigs of DDR4 RAM. Some parts of the process uses processors more, other parts max out ram. From my understanding SCENE will use all the processors you can throw at it.
What processors? What Version? Honestly I would go with the Threadripper2.

Might want to look into your BIOS settings unless your running a DELL.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-t ... 6WEALw_wcB

as a guy who builds computers as a hobby that is my dream processor right now.
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Philip Weyhe
Company Details: 3DGS
Company Position Title: CTO

Post by fillway »

ericguizzetti wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:30 pm
cfoster wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:00 am My processing computer uses 100% of 12 cores, 12 threads, and I’ve maxed out 128 gigs of DDR4 RAM. Some parts of the process uses processors more, other parts max out ram. From my understanding SCENE will use all the processors you can throw at it.
What processors? What Version? Honestly I would go with the Threadripper2.

Might want to look into your BIOS settings unless your running a DELL.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-t ... 6WEALw_wcB

as a guy who builds computers as a hobby that is my dream processor right now.
2nd that.
The Threadripper 2 is just ridiculous. I can't believe they essentially 2x'd the Threadripper in a year... AMD is doing some serious work.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Hi!
My appologies for reviving this topic. I still think it is of the most relevant. As any of you figured out what bottlenecks the data processing,especially with c2c? I would love to see more CPU/ram/ssd config c2c benchmark, with changing only 1 item at the time for reference. This would be very time involving but would be very usefull in planning investment on work station(invest in more ram vs ssd speed or in cpu vs ram speed, high clock cpu vs more but slower cores). There is a sea of hardware and investing in the right components is hard to do when it is unclear what matters most.

One question I do have before investing in 4 nvme drives in a raid0 for my configuration. Did any of you notice major performance increase in a raid0 configuration? This mostly increases read speed for large files, since fls files are mostly 100+mb files I can only assume reading at 10gbps+ would be beneficial. Or is the c2c bottlenecking somewhere else and the investment is not worth it?

Has any of you tried the intel 900p optane (280gb) ssd drives for virtual memory purpose? Assuming you have a limit of 64gb of ram on your motherboard and are doing a massive c2c of 200+scans. The loaded data would go on the ssd as virtual memory. Is the 900p a faster virtual memory allocation compared to a raid0 4xnvme config?

Is ram speed worth the investment? or would gain be minor and not worth the premium price fast ram goes for. All my current configs are loaded with 2666hz ram CL19. (We have a deal with dell and we have to buy from them and this is their fastest ram). Would faster ram be world appart in speed increase, did someone test speed increase on a similar built and changing only ram.

On one of my (4) computers I feel my cpu is too strong (Xeon gold 6240) and it is especially bottlenecking when the scans are loading as virtual memory on a larger c2c( all cores drop to 5-10% load). Hence my interest in the intel 900p, has anyone tested this drive in the past?

Im open for any inputs on this from the community.

Thank you,

LR
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ericguizzetti »

When I use Scene software I never see the values get much beyond 40% of resources. :oops:
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:06 amAssuming you have a limit of 64gb of ram on your motherboard and are doing a massive c2c of 200+scans.
Might be worth considering AMD threadripper as an option in this case as most mid-range TR4 motherboards support 128gb RAM at this stage and you can pick up high core count CPUs at very reasonable cost. Once you go beyond 128gb RAM things get expensive.
Is ram speed worth the investment? or would gain be minor and not worth the premium price fast ram goes for. All my current configs are loaded with 2666hz ram CL19. (We have a deal with dell and we have to buy from them and this is their fastest ram). Would faster ram be world appart in speed increase, did someone test speed increase on a similar built and changing only ram.
I think it is rarely the bottleneck but if it were the maximum potential gain moving from 2666mhz to 3200mhz would ~17% and I doubt you'd ever realise that. I went for 4x16gb 3200mhz on my new build as the price difference between it a 3000mhz was quite small but the cost of 3600mhz was much higher. I don't currently get any advantage for 3200mhz over 2666mhz on my 1950x but will do if and when I upgrade to the next generation of Threadripper.
On one of my (4) computers I feel my cpu is too strong (Xeon gold 6240) and it is especially bottlenecking when the scans are loading as virtual memory on a larger c2c( all cores drop to 5-10% load). Hence my interest in the intel 900p, has anyone tested this drive in the past?
Virtual memory is always going to be comparatively slow, even on SSD. In addition to CPU, look at potential disk access bottlenecks and make sure you've also got also monitoring system processes, as theses will be doing a lot of the work. You also need to consider number of PCIe lanes available when working with virtual memory across RAID, where the motherboard comes into play as well as the CPU and SSD speed.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ericguizzetti »

Hate to note it but love seeing all cores and 80% memory usage from Register 360...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”