Trimble Catalyst Precision

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Trimble Catalyst Precision

Post by Jason Warren »

Has anyone tried this kit out?

youtu.be/HsUr9tiXpOM

HOW IT WORKS
Get closer.
But only when you want to.
Yesterday your phone could tell you where you were within a few meters. Today, with Trimble Catalyst, your phone can tell you where you are within just a few centimeters.

Catalyst features a lightweight antenna that plugs directly into your Android phone or tablet's USB port. Once it's connected to any Catalyst-ready or third party location-enabled app, you can use measure, locate, and share the things you map with the world. The little blue dot on your phone just got a whole lot smaller and more accurate.

And, since Catalyst's revolutionary technology features a software GNSS receiver that delivers high accuracy positioning with an on-demand subscription service, you only pay for it when you need it.

So get ready to get insanely close to your world. Whenever, wherever you want to.

Catalyst transforms Trimble's core GNSS technology into a subscription-based software service for your mobile device. Now you can plug the Catalyst DA1 Antenna into your Android phone or tablet's USB port, download Catalyst enabled apps (purchased separately), and get the accuracy you need, when you need it.

Catalyst DA1 Antenna
The Trimble Catalyst DA1 antenna and a selection of accessories can be purchased through your local Trimble Distributor. The antenna attaches with a simple push-fit to any 1 ¼ inch diameter pole or rod, or can be securely attached to any accessory with a standard with a ⅝ inch thread using the simple threaded adapter that comes in the box. Your antenna also ships with an external USB battery pack, custom battery mount, and a protective carry pouch.

Other Trimble accessories as listed below can also be purchased to meet the needs of your application. Contact your Distributor to purchase.

Trimble Catalyst Accessories
PN 109218Fabric carry pouch
PN 103635-00External USB battery pack (3350 mAh)
PN 110961-12Replacement USB cable for Catalyst DA1 antenna (micro-B to micro-B)
PN 112088USB Battery pack pole mount (for Catalyst External USB battery pack 103635-00)
PN 1092192m aluminium antenna rod for Catalyst DA1 antenna (⅝ inch thread)
PN 88142-01 1.3 m carbon-fiber extendable monopole for DA1 antenna (⅝ inch thread)
Third Party Accessories

Depending on your application and Trimble Catalyst subscription, you will have different needs for how you mount your phone or tablet and your Catalyst DA1 antenna. There are many options on how to do this from third party suppliers, including RAM, SECO surveying equipment, and online vendors such as Amazon.
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
SteveBury
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Trimble Catalyst Precision

Post by SteveBury »

Hi Jason
I had a play with it a few days ago at a demo put on by Korec. It is really impressive, both in performance and cost. It hasn't got some of the features of a high-end survey system so it takes a few more seconds to initialise and isn't as robust, but it's perfect for providing cm accurate coordinates for positioning your scan job. We took it close to buildings and under trees and it maintained lock and the accuracy remained good- it has similar multi-path filters to other Trimble units.

The main points I noted were:
- the antenna costs just £300
- It's very much a software based system, rather than relying on expensive hardware
- runs on android phones & tablets only, no Windows or iOS support
- very small lightweight receiver - no battery, it powers itself off the phone or a standard USB power pack
- 1 hour's use uses around 30% of the battery on a Samsung Galaxy 6
- GPS and Galileo only - doesn't use GLONASS
- monthly subscription, but no contract - you can buy just a month or not pay at all if you're not using the system for a while
- 4 different subscription levels: 1m precision costing £35/month; sub-metre (apparently 20-30cm) costing £100; 10cm costing £160 and 10mm position with 20mm height at £280/month.
- a pay-as-you-go system is on the way so you won't need to buy the monthly subscription very soon if you're not a heavy user
- 2 minutes initialisation time
- there is Bluetooth connectivity to the software so you can use a Disto for offsets or connect other devices such as an RD800 radio-detection unit
- the forms are user definable so you can add whatever attributes you want to the points you survey
- you can attach photos to your points
- the system adds the same accuracy to any other positioning apps you're running on your phone
- you can set out with it, as well as survey in detail points
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Jason Warren »

Hi Steve,
Thanks for this added info. Do you know if it stores the data locally, or is it pumped to an online user mapping portal? and what outputs can you get?
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
SteveBury
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by SteveBury »

They did mention something about the cloud and that your colleagues back in the office being able to directly download the data while you're still working on site. I think it stores it on the phone too - but I'm not 100% sure. A few people there asked about GIS formats and it were told it works with things like ArcGIS, but I didn't ask about other data formats. I guess it'll be the standard formats you normally get on a Trimble system - something to suit everyone hopefully! If you give Korec a call they should be able to fill you in on the gaps in my knowledge.

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”