Terrascan classification workstation : what CPU ? contradictory information

Total Stations, CAD Workstations, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Targets & Tripods Etc.
felixback
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: felix BAck
Company Details: geolocation geomatician
Company Position Title: geomatician
Linkedin Profile: No

Terrascan classification workstation : what CPU ? contradictory information

Post by felixback »

Hi,
First of all thank you for this wonderful website. Most of my solutions regarding problems with the usage of Terrascan and Cyclone come from you guys.

We are upgrading our workstation to build the ultimate terrascan classification and computing disance workstation in huge point clouds (in excess of 150 000 000 points).

I tried to make sense of this article ( https://support.geocue.com/threading-te ... erraphoto/ ) but something is still unclear :

- ]The article recommends (if I am correct) to use a CPU with as much cores as possible. It also explains how to set threads of the CPU to be
used by terrascan.

- There is an exemple of a CPU with 8 cores, and the number of threads used can be set to 16 ( so using all cores with multithreading)

- There is also a mention at the end that : " Hyperthreading adds almost no processing power"

So in the end, what would be the best option to build a CPU oriented workstation for this particular usage ?

Should someone look for a CPU with an insane amount of cores and try to disable multithreading (like a threadripper with 24 cores for example) or go for a 8 core 8 threads CPU with insane proccessing speeds (5.0 mhz and more).

Thank for taking the time to read me and have a great day !

Felix
felixback
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: felix BAck
Company Details: geolocation geomatician
Company Position Title: geomatician
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Terrascan classification workstation : what CPU ? contradictory information

Post by felixback »

I will leave my post here in case someone also needs this info. I found the information as to what type of CPU usage is done during these tasks.

I sent an email to Geocue and got this answer :

Hello Felix,

This depends on which combination of routines you will be using most frequently. For example, Terramodeler uses a single thread for all of it's routines. On the other hand, Terrascan hard surface classification is a multi-threaded process. The single thread processes have less of a performance boost with a higher processing speed, than a multi-threaded task that is utilizing more cores. In general, for larger datasets, it probably makes more sense to prioritize a higher thread count than a super high processing speed.

The biggest bottleneck is disk IO speed. If you want the fastest possible speeds, use NVME solid state drives to increase disk IO speed.

Regards,
Matthew Stevens
GeoCue Group, Inc.

So for classification with Terrascan : more cores = more performance
Operations on Terramodeler : Low core count, high speed

Return to “Other Hardware”