Programs Hang at Startup on Second Monitor

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
toddschaefer
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Todd Metzger
Company Details: Schaefer Engineering
Company Position Title: Project Engineer

Programs Hang at Startup on Second Monitor

Post by toddschaefer »

I have not been able to find a solution to a specific issue I am having with my new MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF laptop running Win 10P Pro (Intel i7-8750H, 32 GB RAM, 2x512 GB NVMe SSD’s in Raid 0! GTX 1070-16 GB). I have an external Dell U2415 Monitor connected to the laptop via the DP connection. The GS65's monitor is my primary monitor with the external display arranged as Monitor #2 using "Extended Display" in the Window's Display Settings. The BIOS, EC firmware, Windows 10 Pro, Windows components, various programs, hardware drivers, and Nvidia drivers are all up to date.

The issue I am having is with two specific programs: FARO Scene and CloudCompare. Both programs are utilized to process 3D point clouds from 3D laser scanning data. Both programs are selected to utilize the Nvidia GPU via the Nvidia Control Panel's 3D Settings. Nvidia’s GPU Activity Window indicates that the programs are utilizing the GPU at their startup.

When either program is opened up on the laptop's monitor, the programs open and operate just fine. When either program is opened on the laptop's monitor and moved to the second, external monitor, the programs open and operate just fine. However, if CloudCompare is opened on the second, external monitor, it hangs and quits responding before fully opening. If FARO Scene software is opened on the second, external monitor, the program starts just fine. However, if a 3D View of point cloud project is opened, the program hangs and quits responding.

Some "debugging" has yielded the following thus far:

- An associate of mine has a MSI GS63VR that exhibits similar (not exactly the same, but similar) behavior.
- Disabling MSI True Color resulted in no difference in behavior.
- Forcing PhysX to run on the GPU for the second monitor resulted in no difference in behavior.
- Changing resolutions, monitor configurations and refresh rates has no effect on this startup behavior.
- When the programs are opened on a second, external monitor connected to a different laptop (Razer Blade 2017), both FARO Scene and CloudCompare open and operate without issue.
- Two other associates of mine utilize Dell Mobile Workstations with Quadro cards and both FARO Scene and CloudCompare open and operate without issue.
- There are no Windows error reports other than a report of the subject app hanging.
- I have discovered that Agisoft Photoscan Pro exhibits similar behavior as CC and Scene.

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts, and/or comments regarding this behavior? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
pomped
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Pompe
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Team Lead Software Engineering
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Programs Hang at Startup on Second Monitor

Post by pomped »

Hi Todd,

unfortunately I don't have a solution for you but at least two directions:

1. In the past we had some problems with pre-installed gaming tools on MSI laptops similar to Afterburner. So it might be worth a try to find out if such a tool is running.

2. As this happens for several programs it might be a problem related to OpenGL (would explain why SCENE starts but could not open 3D view).

Hope you can find out what's wrong.
toddschaefer
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Todd Metzger
Company Details: Schaefer Engineering
Company Position Title: Project Engineer

Re: Programs Hang at Startup on Second Monitor

Post by toddschaefer »

Thank you pomped for the reply. I do appreciate the thoughts/input.

I have been able to fix the problem, but only after a combined total of around 20 hours of researching, testing and retesting. After my initial post here, I performed some additional "debugging". I logged into the local admin account for the computer rather than my work/network account. This local account was the initial account in which CC and Scene were both installed from. I found that none of the program startup issues were present when logged into the local account. Settings were the same, programs were the same and so on. So, I decided to log back into my network account and begin uninstalling/reinstalling programs. Since CC was the first program I installed, I decided to uninstall and reinstall it through the network account. Guess what? Everything now works exactly as I would expect it to work. I do not know the precise cause of the startup/second monitor hangs, but it is now fixed with a simple uninstallation and reinstallation of CC.

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”