travelling cases/ backpacks for laserscanners

Please post discussions that do not fit into any other category.
Ped_Col
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Peder Colfach
Company Details: Norconsult AB
Company Position Title: Surveying Engineer
Skype Name: coolfach
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Ped_Col »

This may seem inappropiate, but I am wondering how other laserscanner users travel, by flight , ship etc. with their equipment. The peli-cases that come allong with the delivered scanners ( leica c10 and Faro focus 3D) are good, but are they reliable with baggage handling personal at airports?

The Faro is easy to carry as carry-on baggage, but the case is heavy and ill-purposed for faraway travelling purposes. The C10 is quite the bit larger, and not allowed on-board the cabins on international flights.

I've looked at Lowepros camera bags, but am not sure of their protection. And Pelipro have new backpacks, but they are more purposed for the protection of laptops rather than camera equipment.

So, how do most users travel overseas with their equipment?
any ideas.
another quistion that pops into mind is how or what kind of case is used for the tripods? They are quite large, and dont fit into the average duffelbags.
Norconsult AB, interdisciplinary engineering and design consultancy, Hantverkargatan 5K ,Stockholm Sweden.
uberto
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Uwe Bertoldo
Company Details: Surveying Company
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Re: travelling cases/ backpacks for laserscanners

Post by uberto »

Have travelled a lot by plane with Total Station and now with Total Station and Laserscanner (Faro Focus).
The peli-cases are too heavy and with two peli-cases as handluggage....you are lost....I use now a very good cabin trolley (Samsonite) with my own foam material...individualized for the shape of the Totalstation and Scanner....
peli-cases in the big suitcase....with luck they don't weight the handluggage...I always took it as handluggage.
Tripod I have only taken once in a plane....it is much cheaper to organize or even buy it at the destination...a second suitcase costs overseas easily 200 € or more.....
Regars Uwe
philium
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Phil
Company Details: CH2M HILL
Company Position Title: Design Professional

Post by philium »

We always have our Focus 3D as a carry-on. We have a backpack that we bought from our rep that was supposedly designed for the Focus 3D and have used it a couple of times with success as a carry-on. When we had a C10 we always checked it in and never had any problems with baggage handlers roughing it up.
Oxbow
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Bergholz
Company Details: Laserscanning Europe
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: eboxbow

Post by Oxbow »

Dear Peder,

please speak to Doreen from our laserscanning webshop. We working on backpack solution for the FARO scanner.
[email protected]

If you have to travel by big equipment, it can be the easiest way to send all by logistic company and pick it up at the destination airport. Company like TNT "special service" offer that services.

If you like to travel often, we can offer you special case in your size for a good price. Same boxes like music group used it for the show equipment transport.

best regards..

Eric
dan_mccurdy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel McCurdy
Company Details: Geometria Ltd.
Company Position Title: Technical Director

Post by dan_mccurdy »

We have flown all around the world with both the C10 and Focus 3D, and we too take the Focus as carry on (and pray they don't ask to weigh it) and check the C10 in - its always survived but we always duct tape the clips on the side to be safe (as we do with Leica total station boxes too).

We have all our tripods in custom made canvas carry bags (2-3 in each bag) to reduce some of the handling issues.

As a note - we were given a LOT of grief once by Air New Zealand regarding the batteries for the scan stations - they were very hesitant to fly them without lots of documentation, which luckily Leica provides.
Dan McCurdy
Geometria Heritage Management
http://geometria.co.nz/
Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Director of Laser Scanning
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler

Post by Oliver Buerkler »

Hi all.

As already mentioned above: FARO is offering a dedicated backback for the Focus 3D (as for the old Photon scanners but much smaller ;-) ). It holds the scanner, a notebook computer and on the outside you may fix the tripod.
The backpack is based on a very rugged and hi-quality LowePro model but with a special foam inlay to hold and protect the Focus 3D safely.

In case you are more the stylish kind of person, there is also a Rimowa case with specialized foam inlay available. Its in the size of a bigger beauty case with a handle and a shoulder strap. Very rugged as well, but much more light weight than the Peli case which may help with overerly accurate check-in personnel. ;)

For further details, ask your sales rep.

Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Director of Laser Scanning
FARO Europe GmbH
[email protected]
[email protected]

Twitter: FARO_LS_PM
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

dan_mccurdy wrote:As a note - we were given a LOT of grief once by Air New Zealand regarding the batteries for the scan stations - they were very hesitant to fly them without lots of documentation, which luckily Leica provides.
I ran in to the same problem once with American Airlines. Even though the batteries were packaged correctly according to FAA regulations and we had documentation, they refused to allow them on the plane.
Jed
Wags
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Wayne Wagner
Company Details: Unlimited Image Inc
Company Position Title: New Product Development
Skype Name: wags

Post by Wags »

New smaller C10 travel case Talk to your Leica Rep for price and details
the red case is the case that comes with your scanner the black case is smaller
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garrett.gman
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Garrett Jenkins
Company Details: Axiom 3D Imaging
Company Position Title: VP of Production
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by garrett.gman »

What are the dimensions of the smaller travel case? Would it work as carry on luggage?

Return to “Any Other Issues”