Bringing a Laser Scanner into the US

Please post discussions that do not fit into any other category.
hairylemon
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Harry Peh
Company Details: Aries Geomatics Pte Ltd
Company Position Title: Project Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Bringing a Laser Scanner into the US

Post by hairylemon »

Hi all,

We are heading to the US for a short-term project, probably less than a week, and we are required to bring our Faro Focus3D Laser Scanner into the country.

Understand that to import Lasers of any kind, the FDA Form 2877 is required. The Faro Focus has a valid Accession Number, and thus the form should not be a problem. However, is there anything else to note to ensure that bringing the equipment across the customs is hassle free? Heard that the check at the US customs is pretty strict.

We are open to both hand-carry or placing the Laser Scanner in a (well-protected) check-in baggage.

Would love to hear some of your experiences or recommendations on this!

Thanks all!

Regards,
Harry
Cheers!

Harry Peh
Project Manager

Aries Geomatics Pte Ltd
www.ariesgeomatics.com
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Bringing a Laser Scanner into the US

Post by steves01x »

You will have more issues with the additional batteries than the scanner. I was pulled over in USA when landing (as you need to collect all baggage and check it back in when you 1st land, even for connections) with P40 but all they were concerned about was if the wheels of the case had been on a farm.

I
Formula1982
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stephen Ferrari
Company Details: UTEC StarNet Geomatics
Company Position Title: Technical Lead

Post by Formula1982 »

Whenever we take equipment (including laser scanners) into USA temporarily, we obtain a carnet. That's all that's needed in my experience.
The next thing, and a separate issue, is making sure you can fly with the batteries if you're taking the scanner yourself, and not getting it sent over as freight. I'm not sure what the rules are now about how many Amp-hours you can fly with, whether they have to be in the machine or out of it, and whether it's better/worse having the batteries in your carry-on. Asking the airline directly may help with this bit.

Considering the very high cost for flying with extra baggage internationally, have you priced getting it sent to your destination by a dedicated shipping agent?
SteveBury
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited
Company Position Title: Director

Post by SteveBury »

I fly in and out of San Francisco with a Faro scanner fairly regularly. I've taken it on as hand luggage, but usually I put it in the hold in its box which, in turn, is inside my suitcase. Sometimes I get stopped and have to show it to Homeland Security and explain what it is, but more often than not if it's inside my suitcase I get waved straight through without any questions. If I'm carrying it on as hand luggage I tend to keep a charged battery in the scanner just in case they insist on seeing it turned on - as was the recommendation for laptops a year or so ago. I must admit I've flown back and forth between the States and the UK without a carnet plenty of times, which has seemed ok, but if you're unlucky enough to get pulled over by one of the less helpful guys in customs then you could end up paying a hefty amount of import duty, so I'd highly recommend you get a carnet sorted before you fly. I've never had any hastle with batteries, either in hand luggage or in checked baggage - they're far more worried about people bringing in meat or dairy products from outside the US that might lack all those growth hormones they love so much! :D
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

I never had a carnet for the one USA trip i had with the scanner, had the invoice etc as a back up just in case!

With regards to the batteries im pretty sure all kit needs to have fully charged batteries in it and the spares have to be on carry on which then "limits" you to how many you can carry.... although i have never had any taken off me yet on carry on. Just my laptop back pack emptied several times due to the mess of cables in it for chargers and hard drives as it looks a bit suspicious! :lol:

I still dont fully get the spare batteries going on carry on as on a recent trip in Europe, Easyjet demanded all carry on cases go in the hold when at the gate.
Formula1982
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stephen Ferrari
Company Details: UTEC StarNet Geomatics
Company Position Title: Technical Lead

Post by Formula1982 »

steves01x wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:08 am I never had a carnet for the one USA trip i had with the scanner, had the invoice etc as a back up just in case!

With regards to the batteries im pretty sure all kit needs to have fully charged batteries in it and the spares have to be on carry on which then "limits" you to how many you can carry.... although i have never had any taken off me yet on carry on. Just my laptop back pack emptied several times due to the mess of cables in it for chargers and hard drives as it looks a bit suspicious! :lol:

I still dont fully get the spare batteries going on carry on as on a recent trip in Europe, Easyjet demanded all carry on cases go in the hold when at the gate.
I guess what that shows is where their priorities lie when it comes to safety vs logistics/profit! They have their safety regulations, but they're more than happy to bend those rules in half when it suits them!

Return to “Any Other Issues”