V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Z+F 5010X SCOUT I-CAM T-CAM

Post by dhirota »

At a recent Association for Preservation Technology (APT) seminar in Honolulu, we demonstrated the Z+F 5010X by scanning Our Lady of Peace Cathedral (we posted some previous scans using Euclideon Solidscan and Autodesk Recap on this forum).

We wanted to demonstrate the field operation of using the Z+F Scout software in the downloading of the scans for pre-registration and the single click operation of capturing the LiDAR scan, the HDR spherical image (using Z+F internal camera, I-CAM), and the Z+F infrared external camera, T-CAM).

We tried the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 as the downloading tablet, but decided that the 256 GB storage and 8GB of RAM too restrictive for our workflow. So we decided that the Dell M6800 described in my post on LSF a few months ago was a better alternative since it has 7 TB of storage, 32 GB of RAM, a faster 4 core i7 CPU, and a swappable battery that will last 5 hours (2 additional will last a total of 15 hours without recharging).

One of the current limitations is that Scout will not start the downloading until all the programmed functions are completed (I-CAM and T-CAM capture completed). So we needed to wait for a total of 8.0 minutes (2.0 minutes for the scan, 4.0 minutes for the HDR images- I-CAM, and 2.0 minutes for the infrared images-T-CAM) until the data started to download and we moved to the next scan position. We did not take detailed time information, but the scans we taken at "high" resolution and "low" quality, 10,000 X 5,000 pixels/points per scan. My understanding is that Z+F is working on starting the download when the scan is completed, rather than to wait for the images to be completed.

THESE IMAGES WERE SCREEN CAPTURED AFTER ALL THE SCANS WERE COMPLETED. That is the reason for all the scan positions showing in the plan view. We were not organized enough to do a video, maybe the next project.

Also notice that on the bottom of each slide image, you will see the temperature, which reflects the position of the cursor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: Z+F 5010X SCOUT I-CAM T-CAM

Post by 3DForensics »

Hi Dennis,

I really love the thermography and how it can integrate with scan data. Also, it sounds like things are slowly moving to "in the field registration" and by the time you start tearing down the equipment, you are pretty much done the registration part.

Great idea by Z+F to integrate the thermal camera and also a rather small camera too.

Cheers,

Eugene
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Arash Yaghoubi
Company Details: Hypsometric
Company Position Title: Director of Cartography
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by hypsometric »

I wish they would just go with a non-IP rated setup with a faster computer... I dont mind switching batteries all day long.. I just don't want to mess an additional device. That being said it definitely is THE step in the right direction rather than being able to scan at 330 meters or need help to lift onto the tripod. :lol:
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by dhirota »

I forgot to mention, one of the interesting aspects of the 5010X Scout registration is the change in color of the scan position which is dependent on the elevation of the scanner. It is not apparent in this example, but the first 5 scans are level, but the last scan is about 3 feet lower. This feature is probably not significant for most scanner projects, but another interesting feature where there is significant grade/terrain change.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

We had a demo of this scanner today. I must say I was very impressed with both the speed and the automatic registration. Colour looks amazing with the internal camera as well. I think there are a lot of options on this scanner to enable a number of project related workflows that suit just about any task.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.

Return to “Z+F”