MagicBrou
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Julian Weber
Company Details: Stadt Reutlingen
Company Position Title: director of engineering surveying

Re: Whats that?

Post by MagicBrou »

For what applications do you use the T-cam? would it be also good to detect formaldehyde in buildings?
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Whats that?

Post by jcoco3 »

For what applications do you use the T-cam? would it be also good to detect formaldehyde in buildings?
Now that is a good question. I have used it to provide thermal data on the outer shell of a large building that had a history of moisture instruction. While it did not provide the exact same thermal information that a handheld thermal camera provides, I would say that it was able to provide more coverage of the area in perhaps less detail. A decent analogy would be taking close up macro images with a digital camera, vs walking around capturing spherical imagery with a 360 camera. It was mostly used for supplemental thermal information to confirm moisture presence from a more global perspective of the building. This is not to say that it did not provide excellent thermal data on its own. The use of this device in addition to a typical thermal imagery was an excellent combination especially due to the fact that all thermal imagery collected by the T-cam had the benifit of location as provided by the laser scans and registration process. The project was an experiment and a success. We had performed this type of work a few times prior using our own combination methods, but the T-cam made it much easier, less time consuming, and of higher quality.

An additional project that used both laser scanning and thermography that we worked on involved a large vessel of both high pressure and very high temperature. Both laser scanning and thermography were used to locate and track deformation "hotspots" on the surface of the vessel as temperature and pressure were increased over time. I can't say much more about it, but having performed this work and understanding the value it provided I can only imagine the magnitude of similar scenarios in which it could be used to help diagnose problems. It is regrettable that I cannot share more, but even more so that we did not have the T-cam at our disposal for the project. I am convinced the resulting data and imagery would have been much more useful and provocative.

Now, as far as formaldehyde detection...I am not familiar with typical formaldehyde detection techniques or even why it needs to be detected(please excuse my ignorance). If the formaldehyde was present in a liquid form that evaporates creating a cooling effect or reacts with whatever material it is hosted on creating a heating effect, then it could perhaps be possible to use the T-cam and thermography to detect those thermal changes. Speculation of course :roll: If you are speaking of formaldehyde gas or fume detection, I can't provide much insight. The T-cam uses a more common and much less expense uncooled microbolometer thermal detector that is not capable of imaging gases. That is not to say gases could not be detected using thermography with the much more expensive cooled type of imager.

There are perhaps a potential infinite number of uses for the T-cam's thermography capabilities...our imagination may be the current limit but that will change in time as the need/opportunities present themselves.

I hope this helps :)

Return to “Z+F”