Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Importing control points in scene - help please

Post by Augusto 3D »

Hi everyone, I have some questions about what happens on the backend in Scene when we import control points.
Once we import the points file we are asked if we want to apply the control at the cluster or project level, however, regardless of the selection, the References folder appears on the main root of the project. This is confusing.

I gather that by making the project or cluster selection the correspondences are searched within the cluster or whole project (am I correct?)
if I open a project that someone else worked on, how can I identify if the control is meant to be applied at the project or cluster level?

the second question I have:
Why does the first control point name get changed to have an 'i' ? Does this mean anything?
Thank you
SCENE_CONTROL POINTS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tanguy Nédélec
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: NEDELEC Tanguy
Company Details: Prigent et Associes
Company Position Title: Surveyor - nooks and crannies explorer
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Importing control points in scene - help please

Post by Tanguy Nédélec »

Hello,

From the help PDF : "If external references are available, the Reference folder of the cluster is used first. If not, the Reference folder of the next available higher leveled cluster is used."

Depending on your choice at import, the reference folder isn't created at the same place, at least on my side:
RefFolder.png

For the "i_" stuff, are you sure that's not how the point is named in your imported CSV/TXT? I don't see this behavior personnally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Augusto 3D wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:28 pm Hi everyone, I have some questions about what happens on the backend in Scene when we import control points.
Once we import the points file we are asked if we want to apply the control at the cluster or project level, however, regardless of the selection, the References folder appears on the main root of the project. This is confusing.

I gather that by making the project or cluster selection the correspondences are searched within the cluster or whole project (am I correct?)
if I open a project that someone else worked on, how can I identify if the control is meant to be applied at the project or cluster level?

the second question I have:
Why does the first control point name get changed to have an 'i' ? Does this mean anything?
Thank you

SCENE_CONTROL POINTS.jpg
Check this video i made a few years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Wf9gwu0ZU&t=223s
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

tengui wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:57 pm Hello,

From the help PDF : "If external references are available, the Reference folder of the cluster is used first. If not, the Reference folder of the next available higher leveled cluster is used."

Depending on your choice at import, the reference folder isn't created at the same place, at least on my side: RefFolder.png

For the "i_" stuff, are you sure that's not how the point is named in your imported CSV/TXT? I don't see this behavior personnally.
The "i" is not in my CVS file. I just cheked again.
hard to explain it, but I think it makes sense. When you run the registration it is going to look at the clusters first - like from the inside - out.
Justin Richards
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: JUSTIN RICHARDS
Company Details: Tribrach Solutions
Company Position Title: Survey Tech
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Justin Richards »

Augusto 3D wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:07 pm
tengui wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:57 pm Hello,

Depending on your choice at import, the reference folder isn't created at the same place, at least on my side: RefFolder.png

The "i" is not in my CVS file. I just cheked again.
hard to explain it, but I think it makes sense. When you run the registration it is going to look at the clusters first - like from the inside - out.
I just remove the "i_" but I have never had a problem leaving it

Return to “FARO”