V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: FARO FOCUS S150 client settings

Post by sim.herrod »

ProCro wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:02 am What about faro panocam?
Uses a Ricoh Theta Z1 which only has a 6720x3360 resolution.

It's great for colouring point clouds quickly (quicker than the higher res internal camera), but the pano quality is much lower than the internal camera.
ProCro
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nino Skupnjak
Company Details: SKIMI64
Company Position Title: procurator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by ProCro »

Maybe resolution is lower, but dynamic range seems superb compared to internal camera.

IMO, even HDR 3x with internal camera is not so great. There was even suggestion to use even horizon metering which is faster, but works good in even lighting condition. If you have different lighting condition in one scene, you will have overexposed or underexposed parts of panorama (even with HDR 3x).
K.Ronald
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Ronald Kurcz
Company Details: Valiant TMS Ro
Company Position Title: 3D Scan and Layout Engineer

Post by K.Ronald »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:09 am RJ I am suprised you are bringing the RTC in this convo as it is common knowledge that the picture quality is timefold worst on the RTC compared to a Faro scanner. I am sure they will get there tough, I feel if they release a RTC scanner with actually good pictures and a decent compensator in it they would have the king of all scanners. But as of now even with the so called "HDR" they do, they are no where near the picture results a Faro scanner gives.
Sorry, could you answer one of my previous questions? I quoted your answer but as I posted 2 answers after that, it is a posibility that you didn`t see it.

"What does speed mode do? How does it affect the 'end product'?

I have also tested, from same position, 5x, 3x, off and between the 5x and 3x there is almost no difference. The only difference I clearly notice between HDR on and off is the exposure and coloring. Until this client, we never used HDR and imo its better without it. When you have light coming from above, but many many different spots, HDR off is so much better exposure and image wise. (even without LiHDR)"

Thanks again!
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Hi Ronald...I have no idea what speed mode actually does...I only know that is saves me 10 seconds and picture results are ok, I can't perceive thw difference between on or off. Someone else could answer here.

I also dont see any difference between HDR 3x or 5x. If I had to do hdr I would do it with the 3X settings. Again what those values mean I have no idea.
K.Ronald
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Ronald Kurcz
Company Details: Valiant TMS Ro
Company Position Title: 3D Scan and Layout Engineer

Post by K.Ronald »

I did some tests today also and 2x is actually best quality and time wise. ~6.5 min (going from 3x ~8 min)

Now I just have to prove the client that 5x is overkill. (And we have to do min. 60-70 positions / zone)

Return to “FARO”