I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Charles
Company Details: DFC
Company Position Title: Principal
Linkedin Profile: No

S70 vs S350 Range

Post by charlesdab »

Hi All!

I currently own an S70. I'm thinking about getting an S350 for some large outdoor jobs.

I could use the S70 for these jobs but I'd have to put down spheres and traverse a large distance I think, so it would take a lot more onsite time.

I'm wondering if the S350 would help me improve my onsite time? But one thing I cannot understand is, wouldn't the data be SO bad from 300 meters away that what is even the point of having anything better than an S150?

As far as I know the S70/150/350 are identical except for firmware locked range.

-Are there any other differences between these units besides the range?

-Are there any guides to 3d positional accuracy / at long ranges?

-Is there anything I should know about long range outdoor scanning? Everything I've done as been shortrange.
INV_Scanning
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Sebastian Winkler
Company Details: INVERS Industrievermessung und Systeme
Company Position Title: Project Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: S70 vs S350 Range

Post by INV_Scanning »

Hi!

What kind of large outside jobs do you mean. For most of the jobs the potential of 350m range cannot completely be used.

Accuracy is a big guess as FARO just claims the +/- 1mm for 25m distance and gives the angular accuracy. It´d be great to know the split up values for the ranging to be able to calculate in a proper manner!

Regards Seb
charlesdab
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by charlesdab »

INV_Scanning wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:42 pm Hi!

What kind of large outside jobs do you mean. For most of the jobs the potential of 350m range cannot completely be used.

Accuracy is a big guess as FARO just claims the +/- 1mm for 25m distance and gives the angular accuracy. It´d be great to know the split up values for the ranging to be able to calculate in a proper manner!

Regards Seb
Thanks for the notes! I'm looking at the interiors and exterior of stadiums.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

I can scan with the riegl up to 350m standard but for standard stuff you never use the data this far. I always cut the data at 60m after registering.

Don't think you can scan a stadium with a few scans, you also have to do a lot even with a wider range. The voids and shadows stay the same.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

Unless absolutely critical, I never use scan data that is more than 50-60m from the scanner. Long range scanners obviously have their place, but in basic terms, you want to be doing lots of scans on a lower resolution as opposed to a few, higher res scans. I have scanned several stadiums including the Marvel Stadium in Melbourne using a Faro. Just treat it like a normal job and do lots of planning. The good thing about stadiums, is that due to their shape, you can normally install a nice closed survey traverse and also loop your scans, that would give much better results than a handful of long range scans. Don't skimp to save time, it will only come back to bite you.
jaredmatthews
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: jaredmatthews

Post by jaredmatthews »

I am still perplexed by this fascination of obtaining "sub millimeter" accuracy, or " accuracy within 1 mm".

Unless you are measuring mechanical parts that are going to be machined (and if you ARE, then using a terrestrial laser is the wrong tool) to very close dimensions, it is unnecessary!

I have not ONCE had a customer come back to me and say "oh, this measurement you had here is 154.21cm, but when I checked it on site it was 154.25cm.

If you need general edge measurements of the top of the stadium, then get the total station in and shoot a few check shots against your scans.

If you need more detail up there, then you need to speak to the client and organise access.
charlesdab
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by charlesdab »

Thanks for these notes everyone!

Yeah, my project can easily get away with 10CM of inaccuracy, so in some ways I feel like a good use case for the the S350. But I totally hear all your comments about accuracy. I guess it just makes me wonder... like who is a good user for an S150 or S350? Like do you use the long range measurements only for registration? And if so, how?
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Depends on the project but long range scans can be many things, dams, skyscrappers, mining industries, etc. But to be honest I dont trust the accuracy of allignement of the faro scanners at those range. Faro scanners can only be registered with targets at such a close range that it makes data at 350m offset. The only way to get long range data registered is with cloud2cloud registration, but even that is not reliable. On our side of things faro scanner are 50m and less, just do many scans. We use our SX10 for long range scans.
benoit.lachapelle
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Ben Lach
Company Details: Scan
Company Position Title: Scan

Post by benoit.lachapelle »

Like Leandre said, you better use an hybrid total station/scanner like a Trimble SX12/SX10 to achieve greater accuracy on long range scan.
The speed measurement is slower compare to conventional terrestrial lidar scanner, but you can specify a polygon on the area of interest and just measure what you need and since you can setup the station with conventional station setup or resection with prisms and target at long range, you'd be as precise as possible.

With a SX10, you can achieve a density of 6.25 mm at 50 meters on highest resolution, which is a little better than a Faro at 1/1 resolution that would give 7.67 mm at best at same distance. A SX10 is cheaper than a S350, can easily scan at plus it's also a pretty precise total station that allow you to place you control for you regular scanning project.

cheers,
3D4L
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mike Johnson
Company Details: QFS
Company Position Title: engineer

Post by 3D4L »

If you end up wanting to get the S350 let me know. I may be in the market for an S70 if the price is right.

Return to “FARO”