Full Name: gabriel nistor
Company Details: scan3d - israel
Company Position Title: ceo
Skype Name: ggnistor
Linkedin Profile: No

Faro Focus Repair/Calibration - poor service performance

Post by scan3d.co.il »

hi everybody...
I had been working with Faro Focus (X and S) for several years now. Through these years I had sent the scanners for Service or Maintenance several times.
Sending a scanner to service is not only an expensive treat... It also takes between 1.5 to 2 month for the equipment to be back. Part of this time is spent on logistics (freights, customs released etc) and the repair/maintenance itself, but most of the time is wasted just waiting... waiting for responses from Faro, waiting to be allocated a service turn, waiting for the turn... waiting.

Now, these machines, at least here in Israel, costs more or less the same as a Taxi (the vehicle, not a ride).
I cannot imagine a Taxi Driver forced to wait at home 1.5 to 2 month till he gets his car back from a service/ maintenance...or that in order not to loose work continuity buys a second Taxi, just in case...

This issue is impacting severely my overall satisfaction with Faro - in general.

I don't see any direct way to communicate this complain to Faro itself, so I believe that if you guys have the same views on the subject, this forum could be a good way to raise this discontent to the air... Maybe Faro will re think their approach to service/ maintenance resource allocation and pricing...

Anybody feel the same?

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Faro Focus Repair/Calibration - poor service performance

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

this has been an ongoing thing for years now. They are to big and just don't care. It's all about the €€€.

I have a pointsense license from the days that Kubit was the company. After they sold it to Faro it went downwards. I haven't renewed for a few years and am using other tools now.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

DavidL
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: David Lander
Company Details: Thames Valley Police Authority
Company Position Title: Crime Scene Surveyor

Post by DavidL »

Faro customer service is almost comically bad. My recent experience earlier this year,

In order to book an annual service/calibration you have to do it via their new online portal Faro Now. No problem, I sign up and I go through the 'request a calibration' procedure. Towards the end there is box that says something along the lines of 'any other issues you would like us to know about?' In this box I put 'we occasionally get error message xxxx'. I submit the service request. So what happens next is I get a generic email from Faro customer support with a link to a knowledge page about the error code... and that's it. No acknowledgement of the service booking at all, no confirmation, no date. I then have to send emails chasing them to get them to acknowledge the booking. Finally I get confirmation and a date to send the scanner. The next headache, their service centre is only an hours drive away so I choose to hand deliver the unit myself to their delivery bay, on delivery I make sure to get a stamped receipt. One week later... an email from Faro customer support 'we are still waiting for your scanner' :roll:

Ralphieboy
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Ralph V Pendergraph
Company Details: PTS Land Surveying
Company Position Title: Manager

Post by Ralphieboy »

I am confused about why it costs around 4K USD for maintenance and calibrations. This is a question to some other brands as well. At $100 per hour that’s a whole work week for a technician. What is the hourly rate and protocol/procedures or justification for this cost? The high costs and difficulty of repair/maintenance and sw firmware subscriptions drive down the value of the used systems, from what I see.

sim.herrod
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: Scan and CAD Tech

Post by sim.herrod »

Ralphieboy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:28 am
I am confused about why it costs around 4K USD for maintenance and calibrations. This is a question to some other brands as well. At $100 per hour that’s a whole work week for a technician. What is the hourly rate and protocol/procedures or justification for this cost? The high costs and difficulty of repair/maintenance and sw firmware subscriptions drive down the value of the used systems, from what I see.
I thought the same until I went for a tour of the Faro facility in Rugby, UK. The attention to detail, and time that takes is phenomenal.

I now feel less bad about the calibration cost than I do about the cost of new batteries...

Ralphieboy
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Ralph V Pendergraph
Company Details: PTS Land Surveying
Company Position Title: Manager

Post by Ralphieboy »

The first company that can provide an affordable system, that doesn't have excessive maintenance and subscription fees - will do well. I had hope with the Lasirus, but it seems to have disappeared? 60/80/100k, plus thousands yearly is not affordable to most small firms, obviously. If you buy used you are on your own for maintenance and repair and may own a nice paperweight in a couple of years.

jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

I agree with what everyone else has said. I've been a Faro customer for 10 years and their customer service has always been far worse than any other "professional" tool company I've ever dealt with.

They've also been promising to improve it for just as long so I wouldn't hold your breath for any changes. As a user I think your best bets are to either plan your operations around the realities of the support they do provide or switch to a vendor that offers better support. It doesn't get any less frustrating, but those of us who've been around the block a couple times at least know what to expect. Unfortunately, the people it hurts most are new customers who go in expecting proper support.

There are certainly things to like about Faro's scanners, but customer support is not one of them.
Jed

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

jedfrechette wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:22 pm
I agree with what everyone else has said. I've been a Faro customer for 10 years and their customer service has always been far worse than any other "professional" tool company I've ever dealt with.

They've also been promising to improve it for just as long so I wouldn't hold your breath for any changes. As a user I think your best bets are to either plan your operations around the realities of the support they do provide or switch to a vendor that offers better support. It doesn't get any less frustrating, but those of us who've been around the block a couple times at least know what to expect. Unfortunately, the people it hurts most are new customers who go in expecting proper support.

There are certainly things to like about Faro's scanners, but customer support is not one of them.
I've received an e-mail yesterday that not everything wil be operated from Germany anymore but with regional reps who will follow-up your system and software.
In my mail they noticed that i didn't update my maintenance on Pointsense and if i'd like to to give a shout. E-mail directly archived.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

sim.herrod
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: Scan and CAD Tech

Post by sim.herrod »

landmeterbeuckx wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:34 pm
I've received an e-mail yesterday that not everything wil be operated from Germany anymore but with regional reps who will follow-up your system and software.
I may be wrong and/or misunderstanding your point, but I'm pretty sure that's how it operates in the UK already.

We have an Account Manager who is our main point of contact and a Sales Engineer, both of who are happy to deal with first level support matters. Just in the last 2 weeks we have had various phone conversations and Teams meetings to help us out with a particular problem we were having.

It only goes to Germany if it's a more complex issue.

I have to also say that the Leica UK HDS support team are also excellent.

Maybe we've just been lucky, but we've had good experiences with both Faro and Leica.

scan3d.co.il
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: gabriel nistor
Company Details: scan3d - israel
Company Position Title: ceo
Skype Name: ggnistor

Post by scan3d.co.il »

sim.herrod wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 pm
landmeterbeuckx wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:34 pm
I may be wrong and/or misunderstanding your point, but I'm pretty sure that's how it operates in the UK already.

We have an Account Manager who is our main point of contact and a Sales Engineer, both of who are happy to deal with first level support matters. Just in the last 2 weeks we have had various phone conversations and Teams meetings to help us out with a particular problem we were having.

It only goes to Germany if it's a more complex issue.

I have to also say that the Leica UK HDS support team are also excellent.

Maybe we've just been lucky, but we've had good experiences with both Faro and Leica.
Sim,
its is encouraging to know that the service is performed well in UK... Seems that on other places this crucial aspect of Faro commitment to their customers had not received the appropriate level of attention.
I think that in order to draw Faro attention to this issue - not necessarily the cost itself of the service, but the whole service ordeal.
We should raise a significant claim (in terms of number of users identifying with the claim), where the primary complain has to do with Faro Customer Service response time, accessibility and most of all, making them understand that when a scanner is off for maintenance-repair, it is not working. It is a machine down, and needs to be focused as such

so, anybody feeling the same should rise his finger in this forum. If the discontent expressed on this message is of significance for many users, then we might be able to draw some Faro Managerial attention to this critical issue.

Return to “FARO”