Faro S Plus series

Discuss all FARO related issues here.
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Faro S Plus series

Post by bdawood »

Hi all

I heard about the new S Plus series it looks like it is a nice upgrade to the current one if possible, does anyone know more about it, it looks like it runs at 2 mil points per sec, other than that it is the same.

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: AMM Division Leader
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Faro S Plus series

Post by jcoco3 »

News to me. Thanks for sharing it :)

Spent the last 30 minutes trying to locate a spec sheet to no avail. Maybe I am not looking in the right place. Not sure it is up on the Faro knowledge base yet.

2 million points per second would certainly be a breakthrough for Faro's scanners, but it is hard to tell if that rate comes at a cost in accuracy or other without a spec sheet. Even if it does loose accuracy it could be really nice for indoor scans of short range and good reflectivity. Wonder if it cuts the scan time in half or just doubles the resolution? Many questions, but looking forward to learning :lol:

Wdigman - Europe
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Warren Digman
Company Details: Crystal Prism Consulting

Post by Wdigman - Europe »

Sounds like Faro's answer to the RTC360.

At 2 million points per second the RTC360; longest scan time is 2 min 40 sec with HD images! With Images off its 1min 40 sec.
We will have to see what the range is on the Faro, and how clean the clouds look. RTC360 is very clean.

Also Price point.

If there is an announcement, I may have to make a decision next year.

bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by bdawood »

I hope it is a simple hardware upgrade to the S series including the S70, Faro claimed the S series are future broof, I don't feel like buying another system at the moment, but the 2 mil/sec is a game changer and very tempting

Oxbow
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Bergholz
Company Details: Laserscanning Europe
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: eboxbow

Post by Oxbow »

Hi,

from my information will the plus model only available for S150 and S350 systems. It will work in high resolution setting. Means the biggest advantage will be in outside or detail scanning. Combined with the high resolution from S scanner make this lot of sense. Good for "stop and go scanning" or facades etc.. from my understanding RTC works only up to 65 meter in fast mode. Faro will support the full speed over the complete range. Also resolution from Faro are higher to RTC. In total the user has the option to capture more points in a longer range in the same time, if they need this function.

Noise will be higher with 2 Mio points, that's simple physics. With doubling of speed noise should increase by factor 1.44 (root from 2). With lot of points the option for filtering will be open, too. For outside application maybe noise not the most important point. We will check it out, soon we get our demo system next days.

...Eric

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: AMM Division Leader
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

That information is more insightful than a spec sheet :lol:

Thanks a bunch Eric!

Could have used this feature recently, on a project involving longer ranges and (8) 1:1 scans.

bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by bdawood »

It is very disappointing to hear that not all the S series models will be treated the same and that the upgrades will effect the S150 and S350 only and not the S70, at the end of the day this is why we purchased the S70 and not the M70.

geodezja3d_pl
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Jakub Kałaska
Company Details: Geodezja3D_pl
Company Position Title: owner

Post by geodezja3d_pl »

I think this is completly new unit not the firmware upgrade.

bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by bdawood »

Oxbow wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:50 am
Hi,

from my information will the plus model only available for S150 and S350 systems. It will work in high resolution setting. Means the biggest advantage will be in outside or detail scanning. Combined with the high resolution from S scanner make this lot of sense. Good for "stop and go scanning" or facades etc.. from my understanding RTC works only up to 65 meter in fast mode. Faro will support the full speed over the complete range. Also resolution from Faro are higher to RTC. In total the user has the option to capture more points in a longer range in the same time, if they need this function.

Noise will be higher with 2 Mio points, that's simple physics. With doubling of speed noise should increase by factor 1.44 (root from 2). With lot of points the option for filtering will be open, too. For outside application maybe noise not the most important point. We will check it out, soon we get our demo system next days.

...Eric
Eric seems to know more about it and thinks it could be some sort of an upgrade.

Oxbow
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Bergholz
Company Details: Laserscanning Europe
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: eboxbow

Post by Oxbow »

Hi

Unfortunately I can't say any more on the subject. We had the info that we can order the S150 or S350 as a plus with up to 2 million measurements per sec.. The remaining features should be the same. My execution was the combination of these facts.

The Faro product management will hopefully provide more information about product details and prices here soon.

I believe that new components will be installed, like fpga and boards. Maybe also the optical components have been adapted. If it was just software, this would have been done before.

..Eric

Return to “FARO”