I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: David ison
Company Details: Castle Surveys
Company Position Title: Senior Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

FARO settings and quality

Post by Fairos »

I'm looking for the best settings to use for the FARO M70 on site:

1. For speed on site for elevations that aren't detailed.
2. The best overall settings to use for the crispest data, for really detailed elevations.

Also, if anybody knows any preferences to change in cyclone when auto aligning scans or visually aligning them.

and HOW do i get the best data possible for use with a detailed elevation? Would it need to be photogrametry? Can you use photogrametry models in cloudworx?

Or do we need a P40 :lol: :lol:
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: FARO settings and quality

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

i would suggest you do a test of a room with the same tripod and position. Change the settings, do the scans accordingly and make comparisons.

Every situation is different (my 2cents)
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Aloe1
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Andrew Russell
Company Details: Law Enforcement
Company Position Title: Forensics

Post by Aloe1 »

Hi mate

This is what I use and I did work for FARO as the Public Safety Applications Engineer in Australia :)

I used 1/4 to 3 for nice quality good for outdoors and distances, it should be around 7mins 50 per colour scan, I found this to be the sweet spot of good quality scans with good resolution.

I used 1/5 to 3 for forensic scenes both indoors and outdoors when I was a copper lol, this was good enough for forensic examinations.

Just to help you out mate, if you need anything let me know by a PM and I will give you any suggestions based on my experience and knowledge.

What I like about the FARO software SCENE 2018 is now the HDR implementation into the software itself.

Regards

Andy
JohnBunnFARO
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: John Bunn
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Account Manager

Post by JohnBunnFARO »

Hello!

If your error tolerance is 1/2" or more, then you can use 2x for your quality setting. Otherwise, I would recommend 3x on the quality.

As for Resolution, you will want to use 1/4, 1/5, or 1/8. 1/4 is best for larger areas (warehouse for example), 1/5 is best for medium sizes (like a lobby perhaps), and 1/8 for smaller rooms such as bathrooms, kitchens, etc.

If you are using color, then just use Even-Weighted Metering and NO HDR. Scene has added a Laser-Illuminated HDR feature that applies color to any areas of scan data that is too bright or too dark. It will save you a ton of time doing this.

1/4 3x w/ color is 6m59s, 1/4 2x 2/ color is about 5m. Without color, you are looking at 4m32s and 3m40s respectively.

Hope this helps!
Half Nerd, Half Amazing

Return to “FARO”