I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Tom Elbich
Company Details: Solid Ventures Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Faro M70 Horizontal Area Scan

Post by surveypm »

I'm trying to just scan 180 degrees horizontally in sort of a half sphere because the area behind me isn't of value and was hoping to reduce the time and file size. But I haven't figured out which way the scanner "starts" to scan and don't know if it always starts in the same direction. I've searched but haven't found anything on this. Anyone know how Faro starts the scan from which scanner side and does it always do that? Thanks.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: Faro M70 Horizontal Area Scan

Post by 3DForensics »

I thought when looking at the scanner screen, it was on the left side but not I am not sure either! Just run a scan and you can easily figure it out. Please post the results!

Also, keep in mind that there is no time advantage to doing a 180 degree scan because it scans from both sides at the same time. You need to scan less than 180 degrees to save time. You will however have less data.

Cheers,

Eugene
Formula1982
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stephen Ferrari
Company Details: UTEC StarNet Geomatics
Company Position Title: Technical Lead

Post by Formula1982 »

Is the file size really that much of an issue? There is zero time saving in having a 180 degrees scan, but what you lose is often very valuable data when it comes to getting a tight registration from the 360.

I'd advise getting bigger hard drives, then cutting your cloud manually to just the specific area/structure you're interested once the job is completely processed.
surveypm
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts

Post by surveypm »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm scanning some piping on some equipment using the Object HD profile so I'm only interested in the data in "front" of the scanner. But I'll run some test to see what happens.
WarrenT
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Warren Thole
Company Details: iqlaser
Company Position Title: iqlaser
Skype Name: warren.thole4

Post by WarrenT »

Good day

what you can also try is to do a very low res and quality scan

Then go to the horizontal and vertical and crop the scan to where you need (Want) to scan, after doing this you can the increase the settings again to get the quality you need,
surveypm
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts

Post by surveypm »

Eugene- You are correct. When facing the scanner screen the scanner starts rotation clockwise. And yes, scanning 90 degrees gives me only what is in front of me at the centerline of the scanner as it captures both sides in its rotation. The manual and the scanner profile graphic is somewhat misleading. This will help as one of my HD scans was 2.6gb and when I did 4 scans at 180 at that resolution Scene version 7 could not create a point cloud pinning my Xeon processor and 64gb RAM to the max. I have a ticket into Faro support as to why. I get an error code 220 even though I have over 1.5tb of a 3tb drive free.
Nice features when you figure out how the scanner is operating. The manual is slightly obtuse in some sections in my opinion.

Return to “FARO”