V.I.P Member
Full Name: Alan Roberts
Company Details: DTM Technologies
Company Position Title: owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

position of master cluster in 3d space

Post by AlanRoberts »

Hi
When you are registering a number of scans, how are they positioned in 3d space initially. If you are using all your sensors on the scanner, is it that everything is taken off your first scan location. ie its gps calculated position
The reason I ask is I am having problems viewing the master cluster in scene correspondance view (460 scan locations on 1/4 res 3 qual) I have unloaded everything and made sure create scan point cloud was done on all pre processing, It takes a day to bring into recap and I now have some position errors, that I could not check in scene, a lot of it is perfect, and time is running on with this project so was thinking that I could start creating floor plans and bring in the corrected portion later

would it fall in the exact location in 3d space as the previous set, when brought into recap?
RithmSupport
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Nathan Anderson
Company Details: Rithm
Company Position Title: Customer Success Mangaer
Skype Name: RithmSupport

Re: position of master cluster in 3d space

Post by RithmSupport »

Hello Alan,

When you first import your scans into SCENE the initial scan alignment is derived from the scanner’s sensor data (Inclinometer, Compass, Altimeter, and GPS). It is possible for each scan to have positional data derived from the different sensors and therefore not import together in the same place (see image below). This initial alignment is obviously very rough and registration will be needed to refine their placement.

You are correct. The first imported scan with GPS coordinates is set as the reference scan. Its coordinates in the overall coordinate system will be set to x = 0, y = 0, z = altitude from altimeter. This position is then the base for the corresponding alignment of the remaining scans. The reference scan is indicated by a blue key like icon over the cloud in structure view ==> Image

When you say you’re having problems seeing your master cluster what do you mean? Can you not see anything in your correspondence view? What if you try right clicking on your master cluster in structure view and hit “Locate”, this should locate the cluster and place it in the center of your view.

-Nathan
Laser Scanning Software for Construction
Skype: RithmSupport | Phone: 415-851-5285 | Email: [email protected]
AlanRoberts
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Alan Roberts
Company Details: DTM Technologies
Company Position Title: owner

Post by AlanRoberts »

Hi Thanks for the info, scene freezes and crashes everytime I try to view it, its a powerfull machine, but just wont, am using scene 5.3.3, can view the smaller clusters, sometimes, but even thats a bit of luck of the draw, first real large project, and am realy not happy with he way scene is handling it at all :)
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: simon judd
Company Details: Precision Air Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Simon Judd »

Hi Alan

As users of scene who regularly register projects in excess of 500 scans, I can vouch for that the fact that Scene handles this very well and our machines are not exactly massively spec'd

In order to help I Firstly need to ask just a couple of questions.
Have you actually registered the scans/clusters together in some way or just imported them and undertaking some basic first step processing.

How many clusters do you have and have these been registered together. If you have sub clusters in scene that have not been referenced together in some way you may not have a common alignment to your whole project.

What are your coordinates for the project, are some large which again may mean that the individual clusters are too far apart to be seen correctly in correspondence view.

Perhaps you could screen shot your workspace tree so that the forum can help a little further.

Simon

Return to “FARO”