I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Christian Sevcik
Company Details: RIEGL Laser Measurement Systems GmbH
Company Position Title: Strategic Software Alliances
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: RIEGL Speeds up Accident Investigation

Post by Christian Sevcik »

Hi,

Just to make you aware: RISOLVE has been released now.

Christian
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the heads up. Where is the best place to see latest features and workflow?

Eugene
Christian Sevcik
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Christian Sevcik
Company Details: RIEGL Laser Measurement Systems GmbH
Company Position Title: Strategic Software Alliances

Post by Christian Sevcik »

Hi Eugene,

I would recommend to give it a try. Please ask RIEGL USA for a demo license. If you need some scandata, let us know.

Christian
Dave Foster
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: David Foster
Company Details: RIEGL UK
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by Dave Foster »

As some of you may know I was able to assist in the development of and beta test the RiSOLVE software. In common with a number of other posts, our use of VZ-400 means that the vast majority of marks are picked up both in reflectance and enhanced when colour applied. The marks at the scene, as already pointed out, can be enhanced by addition of road paint. However, the speed at which the data is captured is stunning. The detail of the scan is excellent. I can only really endorse the comments already made.

As with most scans, the more overlap there is between scans the better any registration. For RiSOLVE there is some "optimum" separation at various resolutions but this does not need to be precise, pacing out between 20-40m is enough (depending on resolution). Always mindful that further separation leads to patchy road plane coverage. The software does not require targets/reflectors/spheres/paper checkers etc. This means that use in the field is quick. Without getting to technical the software interrogates all the on-board sensors and the relationship between each scan position to apply a coarse registration. This is essentially an intermediary step introduced before it runs an MSA for fine registration. Our office is seeing how easy it is and the uptake on the scanner is rising. Note though that this is outdoors only - it needs the GPS data! Indoor scans can be registered as before.

I know we have discussed this before Eugene, but where it is now is pretty amazing. For example it takes around 10mins to register 10 scans - yes its pretty much a minute per scan position - and the same for colour. There are some other enhancements for increased accuracy (general is around 3-4mm without fine scanned reflectors) but as Christian says, speak to RUSA and I'm sure they can assist. Incidentally the data you had previously at the junction (I know it was months ago!) was processed both on RiSCAN and RiSOLVE. As you saw the detail in that scan was pretty good: practice since would suggest a tweak to how that was done to improve coverage without significantly adding to the time spent scanning. If you want some practitioner info, e-mail or ring

Dave
Dave

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts

twitter: @fozzy116
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Hi Dave,

I remember seeing one of the early videos that was done in a parking lot. There were a lot more features in that one because of the adjacent buildings and such. Naturally, I expected that to help with the registration.

The last set that I saw was on a more typical roadway and I think anything that helps to quickly document and clear a scene is what is needed by police. Here in Canada, the police are far behind in terms of scanner usage. However, our provincial police have GPS-RTK systems because of how quickly they can pick off data in an open roadway. It's actually a very good solution although they are missing all that detail that the scanner brings to the table.

I am planning to contact Riegl once some things clear off the table. Hopefully they can post some more videos with roadway or even building examples.

Cheers,

Eugene

Return to “Riegl”