kpob46
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Kyle OBrien
Company Details: Nutrien
Company Position Title: Mine Technologist

Re: RIEGL VZ600i

Post by kpob46 »

Just curious if anyone in here has received their VZ600i yet? My order went through in March 2023 was was told I was in the queue, but delivery likely won't be until October/November 2023.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by dhirota »

Since only three people have responded to this thread in the last 3 days, less than 100 member views and a total of 10,000+ views of members + guests as of today to check out something of interest.
dhirota wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:29 am It has been interesting to track this thread for the last several months, with more than 9,400+ total views as of today. Since I track the number of views of both members and guests from my threads, I am trying to figure out what guests are trying to learn since from this thread one of the most important reasons of using a Riegl VZi system has not been mentioned, Riegl's power management. .....

We are currently using 2 each (1.4 lbs each, hot-swappable 98Wh Lithium batteries) with our VZ400i to power it for 4 hours of scanning (approximately 100 to 200 scan positions). The important function of these Lithium batteries is the ability to discharge/recharge them 2,000 cycles.
dhirota wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:18 am
dhirota wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:23 pm It is supposed to be L1/L2 and should support 4 major constellations. It is Part No. HW-VZI-06-006-00 shown below. You need to check with your country's base station, I am assuming it will work.

RIEGL GNSS.jpg

We have used the Riegl L1 antenna on our VZ400i and have received GPS, GLONASS in our area, which results in 10 to15 satellites. To receive better response with Reigl RTK you need the 4 major constellations. If you have a GNSS sensor that receives the 4 constellations already, you are not going to save anything, unless you can sell it for more than the cost of the Riegl GNSS sensor or use it as GNSS unit for land surveying as we are doing.
We received the above pictured dual frequency Riegl antenna today, but unfortunately could not get it to work correctly with our Trimble NetR9 base station + our Intuicom RTK Bridge-X. If anyone has their Riegl dual frequency antenna talking with a Trimble base station + an Intuicom RTK Bridge-X, I would interested in learning the configuration.

Speaking with some of our Trimble friends, they indicated that there may be problems with the UBLOX antenna and the Trimble base, which we need to check.
I got the Riegl NTRIP RTK working. Fortunately, RieglUSA support sent me the Riegl 2018 GNSS manual that I read last night and reconfigured the gnss file for the dual frequency Riegl antenna into our Trimble base station. The manual was dated 2018 and the 2020 version was basically worthless. Riegl needs to update both into a current version that works.

Part of the success was getting a friend from Trimble to reconfigure our base station into a NTRIP setup in 30 minutes with the right free tools.

Riegl needs to document all these examples to make life easier for their current and future customers. The example in their manual for this Riegl RTK antenna does not work with a Trimble base station consisting of a Trimble NetR9 unless it is running NTRIP as the manual indicates and the configuration file has some changes.

There seems to be a problem with the display only showing 12 satellites, rather than the 25 observed today.

RIEGL-NTRIP-RTK.jpg

The 3D accuracy of 17.6mm is good since this was taken from our parking lot which is surrounded by urban canyons of HNL urban core as seen in the background.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

Since we received the Riegl kinematic firmware on our VZ400i and the dual frequency Riegl antenna, we decided to try the Riegl kinematic application and see how it works without the ability to capture and overlay any images at this time.

We followed the 8 pages of minimal instructions of the scanning process and the zero pages of of processing instructions using Riegl's Riscan Pro. This reminds me of the following LSF threads:

https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 294#p80294
https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 267#p85267

When you start something new, there will be a learning curve that will require maybe some painful time and effort.

RIEGL-KINEMATIC APP.jpg

Here are some examples shown below of the Riegl kinematic application, the quality of our testing, was significantly lower and not worth showing to the public. Part of the problem is not having sufficient free time to continue the testing without the newer, lighter, faster equipment which has not arrived yet.

RIEGL-KINEMATIC-EXAMPLE1.jpg
RIEGL-KINEMATIC-EXAMPLE2.jpg
The most significant problem is the post-processing, which I have not seen any video or printed instruction for Riegl RiScan Pro.

In the last week there have been approximately 800+ total views and only 40+ member views and no questions or responses, so until that happens....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

That's the problem with Riegl. They have excellent software (Riscan Pro) but it isn't documenten well.

I've asked for a small set of videos where they show the new features listed in the revision pages but with no success.

You have to sort it out yourself and test. Which takes up to much time imho.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

Οκ lieven at least you “admitted “ marketing of Leica and manuals are better I am right?
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:53 am That's the problem with Riegl. They have excellent software (Riscan Pro) but it isn't documenten well.

I've asked for a small set of videos where they show the new features listed in the revision pages but with no success.

You have to sort it out yourself and test. Which takes up to much time imho.
Funnily enough, I've found Riegl to be one of the best manufacturers when it comes to providing in-depth technical documentation and support for integrating their scanner and imaging data into out software. I think they differ significantly from some other manufacturers as they see 3rd party developers as collaborators and a resource rather than as potential competitors and disruptors of a closed ecosystem. I love working with Reigl users and resellers as I know the data will be great, using it within SCC will work easily and efficiently and we will be well supported by Riegl technical people as needed.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
tmad
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Thomas Madlberger
Company Details: PORR AG
Company Position Title: Execution Digitalisation Support
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by tmad »

gordonired wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:18 pm
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:07 am
Also copying data works with a 10$ usb stick compared to designated sticks for instance for the Rtc360 which cost several hunderds.
Last I heard from my vendor up here, it's over $1000 for a 256gb stick. I remember thinking it would be cheaper to design my own and 3D print it or hell even machine it. Treat it like gold if you have one!
Unfortunately that's not possible - even if the usb drive physically fits, it's still software locked.
PORR AG
Thomas Madlberger
www.porr-group.com
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Ioannis wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:10 am Οκ lieven at least you “admitted “ marketing of Leica and manuals are better I am right?
Loads more People with Leica problems here then Riegl.😉 Support is great if you have a problem butbthe documentation with new features lacks a bit.
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:20 pmLoads more People with Leica problems here then Riegl.😉
Loads more people with Leica here then Riegl. Total of 164 posts here in the Riegl terrestrial scanning forum, 1640 posts in the Leica terrestrial scanning forum with lots more in the Leica software forums.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

smacl wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:49 pm
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:20 pmLoads more People with Leica problems here then Riegl.😉
Loads more people with Leica here then Riegl. Total of 164 posts here in the Riegl terrestrial scanning forum, 1640 posts in the Leica terrestrial scanning forum with lots more in the Leica software forums.
Not arguing that but the amount of people who have like "errors while scanning" are very limited to other manufactorers;-)
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Return to “Riegl”