I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jonathan A. Greenberg
Company Details: University of Nevada Reno
Company Position Title: Associate Professor

Backpack for Riegl 400i + tripods?

Post by jgrn307 »

TLSers:

We just received our new 400i and we're excited to get it in the field, but we're trying to get some advice on how to transport it, the camera, the tripod, and ~ 10 tripods + reflectors into a forested environment? Backpack solutions are critical. Any recommendations on setups for 2-3 people to carry the equipment out into the field?
ananda
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Ananda Fowler
Company Details: GEOHAWK GmbH
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Backpack for Riegl 400i + tripods?

Post by ananda »

Hi Jonathan,

One option is to use a backpack designed for a total station.
They make some nice ones that have a main compartment and side compartments, so you can store batteries in the side compartments and the scanner in the main compartment.
Here's an example:
http://www.allenprecision.com/survey/ro ... s-backpack

This is also an option, but I'd recommend getting some padding for your back!
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... erter.html

The reflectors and camera are easily carried by a second person (by stuffing it into a typical large hiking backpack) and the tripod is best 'back slung' by the 3rd party member.

if there are only 2 crew members, one carries the scanner and the second the accessories. The one carrying the scanner shouldn't be burdened with anything else, as they're carrying the precious cargo!
jgrn307
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by jgrn307 »

Great advice -- we did see the Rucpac solution, so we'll probably start with that since we have the Pelican case for the TLS. One issue we're running into is we need to lug ~ 10 reflector tripods + poles, so we are having a hard time finding the right solution for that. I'm looking into an extra-large duffel bag with "backpack straps" but haven't found anything that is ideal yet. Any ideas on that?
ananda
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by ananda »

Woah, why 10 reflector setups?
Why not use an RTK unit on top of the scanner, and a single backsight?

Or just an RTK unit on top of the scanner, and take scans close enough together that RiSOLVE can stitch them automatically?
Would save a ton of time, and I believe it would still be more accurate than using the Freestation method.

If you don't have RiSOLVE (I'd recommend it, it would make a lot of your work easier), then you can still run the workflow manually, which isn't too much harder, by using a tablet to control the scanner for backsighting, and then run MSA for adjustment back in the office...

Lugging 10 reflector setups is something I haven't done since 2010. :)

EDIT: looks like you're into forestry (just looked up some of your work).
So you probably will have to lug some targets around after all...

You might check out one of these (below). Certainly not the most comfortable for long hikes, but better than lugging a case around...
http://www.stakemill.com/index.php?main ... 28_142_396
https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Portable ... e+pole+bag
http://www.galls.com/sandpiper-gear-rol ... 52&PMSRCH=

You might also try using the Resection registration method, so you only need 2 targets per position. Should be accurate enough for what you're doing, and you can still run MSA at the end to tighten things up a bit. I had to use that workflow on a highway project several years ago for speed as we were working under the elevated roadway and GNSS wasn't really a reliable option.

You can also use a traverse workflow with a backsite and foresite system, which isn't as fast, but it is possible to get through some very tight places that way... including a forest. But that requires 3 tripods...

Now very curious to hear your reply. ;)
jgrn307
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by jgrn307 »

Ha! Yeah, I should have noted we'll be in forests, and may need to lug the equipment up to 500m from where we park. Not awful, but also not great given this will be in the Sierras, so we need a backpack solution. We are also pre-training and need to be in the field in 2 weeks, so we're figuring this out as we go! 10 reflectors I suspect will be total overkill for this -- our plot size is only 30m x 30m. We definitely have the RiSOLVE software, and the MSA add-on. The tripods + center stakes are ~ 56 inches long, so we went ahead and grabbed a few of:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BH ... UTF8&psc=1

In general, you need ~ 4 reflectors visible, right?
ananda
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by ananda »

Yes, 10 reflectors will definitely be overkill for that size project.
The only reason I can possibly see for bringing targets to such a site would be for very accurately georeferencing the project... (I wouldn't use targets otherwise, but that's my personal opinion)

I'm assuming you will revisit the site, and need the project to be as accurately georeferenced as possible, which means setting some permanent reference marks in the ground to be reoccupied at a later time.

I don't want to lead you the wrong way, given you are pre-training, so I'll hold my opinion on how to do this project.
I will say, that if I had to give you one piece of advice, it would be that I'd only bring an absolute maximum of 8 targets. 6 should work if you are creative with their placement.
jgrn307 wrote:Ha! Yeah, I should have noted we'll be in forests, and may need to lug the equipment up to 500m from where we park. Not awful, but also not great given this will be in the Sierras, so we need a backpack solution. We are also pre-training and need to be in the field in 2 weeks, so we're figuring this out as we go! 10 reflectors I suspect will be total overkill for this -- our plot size is only 30m x 30m. We definitely have the RiSOLVE software, and the MSA add-on. The tripods + center stakes are ~ 56 inches long, so we went ahead and grabbed a few of:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BH ... UTF8&psc=1

In general, you need ~ 4 reflectors visible, right?

Return to “Riegl”