Riegl VZ400i

Discuss all Riegl related products here.
JDicken
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Jemma Dicken
Company Details: Bridgeway Consulting
Company Position Title: Engineering Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Riegl VZ400i

Post by JDicken » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Interesting read. Are there any more updates on this? What accuracies were achieved?

kpob46
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Kyle OBrien
Company Details: Nutrien
Company Position Title: Mine Technologist

Re: Riegl VZ400i

Post by kpob46 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Christian Sevcik wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:38 pm
To give you a bit of a background. This is an internal project, we carried out to see what's possible with the new instrument. The idea was to find out how many scans can be done within a work day. So we setup the measurement programm and started the stopwatch. 4.5 km and 8 hours later, we had these 514 scanpositions on the harddrive, whereas 1 scanposition equals 1 scan. No photos were taken.
Given the fact that the scan engine provides a pulse repetition rate of 1.2 GHz plus a linespeed of up to 240 (!) lines per second we found an average scanposition took 55 seconds. This 55 seconds is made up of 30 seconds of pure scantime and 25 seconds to move between the positions and trigger the next scan. The scanner was not shut down between scans.
A single scan was acquired at a 50mdeg scan pattern with a field of view of 100°x360° and gave us approx 14 million points.
Of course one of the motivations for the project was to drive the development of the processing software, especially the registration procedure. Just think of the vast amount of observables for the adjustment algorithm, when there are several thousand planes per scan. Actually the registration was done with a development version of RiSOLVE; no manual interaction so far. We are currently waiting for the surveyors to collect some more control points for further testing.

As Graham and Dave stated mobile laser scanning would have been an option, but we simply wanted to test the capabilities of the VZ-400i ...and the operator. The brave guy had to run on water and cereal bars only. ;)
But i think it is interesting to see what's possible if you don't have access to a mobile system, or -as in our case- the area is a pedestrian zone and therefore closed to traffic.

Christian
Hi Christian,

This is very impressive, by the way. Have similar test projects been done indoors in an industrial setting? Such as a mill or possibly underground?

Return to “Riegl”