RiScan Pro Basics

Discuss all Riegl related products here.
NiklasWenzel
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Niklas Wenzel
Company Details: Technische Universität Darmstadt
Company Position Title: Student
Linkedin Profile: Yes

RiScan Pro Basics

Post by NiklasWenzel »

Hi everyone,

im a Student from Frankfurt a. M Germany and im currently working on my Master Thesis. Im trying to get into the RiScan Pro Software. My Proffessor gave me a short Introduction into the Software but im feeling very clueless about what i have to do. I learned how to import the Scans into the Software, but everytime i import them ill get an error message:

RiMTA5 convert scan 210616_140609 (ScanPos006): High PPS jitter detected! <Sigma: 237361ns>

Im not sure if its an major issue that i get this message but on every video ive watched noone gets this message.
Furthermore because i have made multiple scans from different positions i need to overlay them perfectly. I found out that i can do that with the automatic registration. There is the second problem, everytime i run the automatic registration i get overwhelmed with error messages regarding the Voxels.

Voxel registration: ScanPos002...-Failed!
Coarse registration for ScanPos002 failed. voxelregistration.exe failed with return code 1.

I think the software wants me to drag the Scanpositions into the right direction, but when i do that and click continue the message will show up again. Additionally its really hard to drag the Scans ontop of each other because if the 2 pointcloud fitting perfectly in one area they are not fitting in another area anymore. Maybe it has something to do that the Scans I made were done from different Posiotions. I really dont know how to fix that problem and its driving me a little bit crazy. I hope that anybody here can give me a crashcourse on how to do this. Im using RiSCAN PRO 64 bit v2.9.

To add a little more information about my Master Thesis:
The whole Goal of the Master Thesis to model a slip body from a rock fall. I have scans after the rock fall and before. With the Scan i want to read out the interface structure of the rocks.

Ill hope anybody can help me here and ive chosen the right Forum.

Thank you

Niklas
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technical Operations

Re: RiScan Pro Basics

Post by TommyMaddox »

Well there's probably 4 or 5 people on the forums here that are current RSP users.

I'd be happy to take a look at your raw scans to see if there are any issues. You can PM me and we can get an upload going.
RJGEOMATICS
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Richard Johnson
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

NiklasWenzel wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:24 pm Hi everyone,

im a Student from Frankfurt a. M Germany and im currently working on my Master Thesis. Im trying to get into the RiScan Pro Software. My Proffessor gave me a short Introduction into the Software but im feeling very clueless about what i have to do. I learned how to import the Scans into the Software, but everytime i import them ill get an error message:

RiMTA5 convert scan 210616_140609 (ScanPos006): High PPS jitter detected! <Sigma: 237361ns>

Im not sure if its an major issue that i get this message but on every video ive watched noone gets this message.
Furthermore because i have made multiple scans from different positions i need to overlay them perfectly. I found out that i can do that with the automatic registration. There is the second problem, everytime i run the automatic registration i get overwhelmed with error messages regarding the Voxels.

Coarse registration for ScanPos002 failed. voxelregistration.exe failed with return code 1.

I think the software wants me to drag the Scanpositions into the right direction, but when i do that and click continue the message will show up again. Additionally its really hard to drag the Scans ontop of each other because if the 2 pointcloud fitting perfectly in one area they are not fitting in another area anymore. Maybe it has something to do that the Scans I made were done from different Posiotions. I really dont know how to fix that problem and its driving me a little bit crazy. I hope that anybody here can give me a crashcourse on how to do this. Im using RiSCAN PRO 64 bit v2.9.

The whole Goal of the Master Thesis to model a slip body from a rock fall. I have scans after the rock fall and before. With the Scan i want to read out the interface structure of the rocks.

Thank you

Niklas
Have a chat with @landmeterbeuckx Lieven Beuckx. He is the Guru I work alongside with. Definitely a standup gent. Perhaps he could consult for a couple of hours.

That being said. Any of us are not going to give away all our registration and processing secrets for free. Few tid bits here and there. But the Registration Capabilities and Processes we have developed over the Past Decade and more are what set us apart from those that just buy a scanner and software from the salesperson speech.

Registration Software is an art form, and require months if not years of full on R&D to get them working correct. The training and manuals from the manufacturers are minimal relevant information at best. Perhaps suitable for small simple scan projects. But anything large into the 100's and 1000's of stations, the SOPs definitely do not work. And even each manufacturer software is so unique. Over the years, I have honestly found it easier to train people on cyclone if they have not scanned before. When I try to show Scene users Cyclone, it is like beating my head against a brick wall. The way Algorithms and features work is completely different, and users that come in with mindsets from other registration software software are nearly impossible to teach software "B".
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

RJGEOMATICS wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:35 pm
NiklasWenzel wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:24 pm Hi everyone,

Thank you

Niklas
Have a chat with @landmeterbeuckx Lieven Beuckx. He is the Guru I work alongside with. Definitely a standup gent. Perhaps he could consult for a couple of hours.

That being said. Any of us are not going to give away all our registration and processing secrets for free. Few tid bits here and there. But the Registration Capabilities and Processes we have developed over the Past Decade and more are what set us apart from those that just buy a scanner and software from the salesperson speech.

Registration Software is an art form, and require months if not years of full on R&D to get them working correct. The training and manuals from the manufacturers are minimal relevant information at best. Perhaps suitable for small simple scan projects. But anything large into the 100's and 1000's of stations, the SOPs definitely do not work. And even each manufacturer software is so unique. Over the years, I have honestly found it easier to train people on cyclone if they have not scanned before. When I try to show Scene users Cyclone, it is like beating my head against a brick wall. The way Algorithms and features work is completely different, and users that come in with mindsets from other registration software software are nearly impossible to teach software "B".
Thanks rj.

I'm not saying i'm a guru but have spent some time the last 4 years developing my riscan skills to a level a know i will get a result, for 20 scans or 2000.

Riscan is very powerful but one forgotten box ticked will get you in trouble.

Also i'm not biased to give info but i'm definately teaching all the tricks. Same goes for rj who is the register360 and cyclone guy.

I'm on holiday now but i think you should extract planes from every scan prior to do registration.

Drop me an email and i'll see what i can do.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
NiklasWenzel
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by NiklasWenzel »

Hi,

First of all thank you all for your replies. I have to ask my proffessor if im allowed to share the data with you. I want to clearify that. Second what does "not for free" mean? Does it mean i have to pay money to you to get help? I will write my Proffessor today but most likely i will get a response on Monday. When i have the respone i will message you!

Thank you all!

Niklas
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technical Operations

Post by TommyMaddox »

Niklas, there are no strings attached on my offer of assistance if you are able to share the data.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

TommyMaddox wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:35 pm Niklas, there are no strings attached on my offer of assistance if you are able to share the data.
Nor by me, just meant not all secrets will be revealed😉
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Bernhard
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Bernhard Groiss
Company Details: Riegl LMS GmbH
Company Position Title: Application Engineer

Post by Bernhard »

we can arrange a online meeting to show a few steps, if you like
Last edited by Bernhard on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...it is normal
NiklasWenzel
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by NiklasWenzel »

Sure you can contanct me via email.

Mail: [email protected]