JonMag
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jonathan Magal
Company Details: GeoMJ
Company Position Title: Géomètre

Re: Introducing Trimble X7 Scanning System

Post by JonMag »

Exactly my thoughts. Just scan in low res with the RTC, 25 sec for a scan vs 1min34 for the X7... After 50 scans, you see the difference...

Sorry for the 2 millions points of the X7, I see a demo in Belgium and the Trimble guy insists many times that the X7 scan at 2 millions points.

For the price question, the X7 is (in Belgium) about 39000€ (X7, bag, tripod, 2 batteries, charger, PC tablet (T10) and the perspective software).
mrblenny
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Damian Macrae
Company Details: AllTerra
Company Position Title: Technical Sales
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by mrblenny »

No worries Jonmag - easy to get confused if someone is giving you incorrect information! At end of the day, the RTC360 is fast, and a great scanner, so it may indeed be the best choice for some people. For those comparing different scanners, I would invite them to consider the complete workflow. You might be on-site for an extra 50 minutes doing a 50 scan job - but, the data is already registered and ready for bulk registration and export directly from the data logger. For many jobs there is no need to post-process back in the office at all. Then there are the additional benefits like automatic survey grade level compensator, the ability to annotate data in the field, lower purchase price and no ongoing annual calibration costs.

Hopefully as covid-19 restrictions ease, those who are keen can organise hands-on tests with their local distributor and see for themselves so they don't have to listen to a sales droid like myself :-)

Cheers!
JonMag
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jonathan Magal
Company Details: GeoMJ
Company Position Title: Géomètre

Post by JonMag »

I will have a deep test soon so I can compare where the workflow with Perspective is faster than Field360.

For the price, of course the X7 is a lot cheaper.
The Rtc360 is 50000 euros + 1850/year for Register360 + calibration every year... Something like 30000 euros more in 5 years.
topogeo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: piercarlo roasio
Company Details: studio roasio
Company Position Title: titolare
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by topogeo »

As user i RTC360.
The speed of 2 million pts / sec allows you to be FAST in the camp. . I still don't understand why many people confuse acquisition speed with acquisition density / resolution.
 The points detected (and therefore the size of the work) depend only on the desnita '/ resolution ..
With a density of 12 mm @ 10 m (more than enough for the interior) with the RTC360 it takes 26 sec (without photos: 1 minute more with HDR photos). Outside I am always 6mm @ 10m and photos: 1 '51sec.
Since when is speed not useful?
I consider it very important ..
The speed allows me to stay less on the field or to block the activity on the construction site for a short time. It is also possible ad hoc scans to capture details: With 26 "I scan 12 mm without photos and then in Register360 I only keep (as visual points) the piece I need.
The size of the files created by the RTC was said to be enormous.
With the new firmware the dimensions have become acceptable: a scan at 6 mm @ 10 m with HDR photos (total time of 1 'and 51 ") weighs about 450-600 mb (and in the countryside there is no downtime ..)
A feature of the RTC360, overlooked by many observers, is the VIS.
I find it really USEFUL.
I prefer NOT to do the recording in the field (with Cyclone Field360): it distracts you and always takes some time. I prefer to be productive in the countryside (at most, I do a few more scans) and then register in the office, with ease. However, the VIS allows you to have many scans already connected in Regsister360. You do NOT have to trust but it is very quick to do a check, remove the areas that can cause problems (for example: vegetation), and optimize the unions.
Normally to register a job of 100 scans .. it takes 1 hour (with the vis that created automatically. 5-10 groups).
Cost of calibration: it is NOT a problem anymore.
With the firmware 3.0 a calibration procedure has been introduced which you can do whenever you want in about 5 minutes (no need for target). It is a quick procedure and provides an excellent report (see attached file). I find it very useful to be able to calibrate on site with a certain frequency. Just a not too accurate transport and the expensive calibration done in the laboratory is ruined.

Of course there are also flaws:
- huge cost (and I think, unjustified) of usb memories (700 euros!)
- obligation to have Register360 or Cyclone to download data
- lack of a carrying handle
- inability to acquire photos even without HDR (you could reduce the file size and still increase the overall speed)
- LACK OF AN EFFECTIVE COMPENSATOR: I ALWAYS use a topographical support to have safety on horizontality. It is a pity that Leica has neglected this aspect :-(

Piercarlo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paranoiahasu
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: ANIL
Company Details: Mergen3D
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by paranoiahasu »

how long does it take to charge a x7 battery from 0% to 100%
KGEConsult
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Dara K
Company Details: Cabinet Olliver
Company Position Title: Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by KGEConsult »

Hi Folks,

Does anybody know any information about an adaptor to a typical tribrach? We have a range of upside down and extension tripods, I want to make sure the X7 is compatible.

DK
Melvin Penwill
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Melvin Penwill
Company Details: KOREC Group
Company Position Title: Geospatial Technical Support

Post by Melvin Penwill »

Hi, when the X7 doesn't have the quick release adopter attached you can screw a normal 5/8 thread into the bottom of the X7.

Return to “Trimble”