Jomelchiori
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Joseph Melchiori
Company Details: Surveying and Environmental Engineering
Company Position Title: CAD Manager Staff Surveyor

Exporting Scan Stations from Trimble Business Center

Post by Jomelchiori »

We have currently purchased and started working with a Trimble SX-10. Trimble Business Center has worked great for regioning and classification of my point clouds but the only option I can find to export is for the point cloud regions themselves. We are currently looking into modeling software that will work hand in hand with Autodesk products for feature extraction and modeling of said point clouds. A lot of them allow the import of individual scans from what seems to be all scanners but Trimble's. Is there a way to export Point Clouds from TBC to include scan station information, Photo Stations, Etc.? I see in TBC there is now an export of all of that information to .tdx (realworks?). Any one know of a workaround? the scan/photo station would be extremely useful in software like Virtusurv, recap, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Be patient with me, Ii'm very new to the scanning world.

- Joe
apaleski
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: adam
Company Details: Three i Design
Company Position Title: Three i Design
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Exporting Scan Stations from Trimble Business Center

Post by apaleski »

Joe,

looks like this is a old post but i have found the only way to get photos to export with scans from TBC is using export format option .PTX. I have a some success using this method but not always. It seems to have issues when doing multiple scans inside one scan station setup. The photos from SX10 have been pretty poor quality but the scans are considered structured. let me know if you figured out a different way.

Adam
Jon Moeller
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jonathan Moeller
Company Details: GeoSurvey
Company Position Title: GeoSpatial Services Manager-RLS
Skype Name: jonnykatz75
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Exporting Scan Stations from Trimble Business Center

Post by Jon Moeller »

Is anyone else using the SX10/TBC, and can help me with my workflow and settings. I never worked with point clouds or scanners until a couple of months ago. The only "training" I've had was a couple of hours via GoToMeeting with our Trimble dealer.

Our company just purchased an SX10 and assigned me to figure out how to use it and process the scans in TBC. Before they were occasionally using a Faro scanner and were used to seeing a certain quality of deliverables in ReCap. Until now, I've only been using the SX10 scans in TBC (never used TBC until a couple months ago either) for internal use to capture more data on our surveys. Now we are starting some projects where we are delivering the scan data to the client. After scanning the project and creating a ReCap file we were not happy with the quality of the images from the scan data, and we couldn't figure out how to export the scan station views into ReCap as we were used to seeing from the Faro scans.

I tried several things before finding this thread and tried exporting the PTX format which allowed us to view the scan stations in ReCap. I have also started scanning everything with the primary camera instead of the overview camera, which greatly increases the field time and processing time in the office.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm just now starting to methodically work through the tutorials on Trimble's website. Can anyone point me in the direction of any other good training videos or workshops.

Return to “Trimble”