Forced upgrade to Cyclone REGISTER 360 PLUS?

Discuss Leica Geosystems hardware here.
dzeibin
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: David Zeibin
Company Details: MIZA Architects Inc
Company Position Title: MIZA Architects Inc

Forced upgrade to Cyclone REGISTER 360 PLUS?

Post by dzeibin »

Curious if anyone else is dealing with this change to REGISTER 360 PLUS? We have a BLK360 and as an architectural firm, we have quite simple needs. (Basically we scan with FIELD 360 on an iPad and then bring into REGISTER 360 to make RCP/RCS pointclouds for use in Revit.) We're on the annual subscription which previously cost $1600 CAD/yr.

Leica is saying it will cost $3030 CAD/yr (90% cost increase) for the PLUS version and the old version is no longer available. They are offering a permanent license option for $7705 CAD.

Does anyone have any advice for negotiating through this or experience with any restrictions/problems using the permanent license? Our needs are simple enough that we're actually still using the 2021 version. Considering these costs, I am actually considering getting rid of the scanner and reverting to outsourcing our laser scanning needs.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Forced upgrade to Cyclone REGISTER 360 PLUS?

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

That's Leica for you.... Once you're in the environment you're screwed. They change licensing all the time from what i've seen on the forum.

I've often thought about getting a blk360g2 but these practices keep me off it.

Besides a disto and a Lino no Leica for me, not now and in the future i'm afraid.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Limited
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

I thought there was a special BLK version of register 360?. I guess an alternative would be to get e.57s out of FIELD360 and use something else to register with. If you're not doing loads of scans, maybe Recap or even cloud compare could be an option.

We've been Leica Cyclone users since 2007. Paying a CCP monthly.

I'm not happy about paying for a so-called 'upgrade' to Register 360 Plus. I work for a land survey firm, where accuracy in registration is paramount and where we regularly register hundreds and sometimes thousands of scans. There is so much that Cyclone Core can do that Register360 simply can't.

Fortunately, we have permanent licences, so can continue with Core and older versions of Reg360. But I have concerns for the long term. Reg360 needs big improvements.
fpensa
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Gianni Epinotto
Company Details: GC CM
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by fpensa »

Same here. We deal with a reseller, they said there were nothing they could do, it's Leica decision. 90% cost increase for the new Classification Tool (no need, won't use) and more general not-so-well-defined improvements in Reg360. We weren't offered the perpetual license option. Definitely will keep this in mind when we'll need to replace our RTC360, we'll give more than as thought to the new Trimble laserscanner
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Limited
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

The classification tool looks nice, but useless unless you can export classified clouds out in a vendor neutral format like e.57
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

There is a BLK Version of Cyclone REGISTER 360+ and you need to ask specifically for this solution (yes, it costs more now with some of the license updates).

You can also use Cyclone FIELD 360 BLK Edition to create registered bundles now, so this is a lower entry point for customers who might have a smaller budget and smaller projects. You can export to E57 from Cyclone FIELD 360 BLK Edition for use in other SW.

You can watch my video about all the changes we made, and why, here:

youtu.be/H6k34nYy7mk
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

Jamesrye wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:00 pm The classification tool looks nice, but useless unless you can export classified clouds out in a vendor neutral format like e.57
LAS works just fine or this...?
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:41 am That's Leica for you.... Once you're in the environment you're screwed. They change licensing all the time from what i've seen on the forum.

Besides a disto and a Lino no Leica for me, not now and in the future i'm afraid.
We know, you don't like Leica... it's fine... you made your position quite clear over the years Lieven ;)
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

Jamesrye wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:05 pm I thought there was a special BLK version of register 360?. I guess an alternative would be to get e.57s out of FIELD360 and use something else to register with. If you're not doing loads of scans, maybe Recap or even cloud compare could be an option.

We've been Leica Cyclone users since 2007. Paying a CCP monthly.

I'm not happy about paying for a so-called 'upgrade' to Register 360 Plus. I work for a land survey firm, where accuracy in registration is paramount and where we regularly register hundreds and sometimes thousands of scans. There is so much that Cyclone Core can do that Register360 simply can't.

Fortunately, we have permanent licences, so can continue with Core and older versions of Reg360. But I have concerns for the long term. Reg360 needs big improvements.
You get a license of CORE with Register 360+... :)

You can export registered E57 bundles from Cyclone FIELD 360 (both regular and BLK versions). :D
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

pburrows145 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:18 am
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:41 am That's Leica for you.... Once you're in the environment you're screwed. They change licensing all the time from what i've seen on the forum.

We know, you don't like Leica... it's fine... you made your position quite clear over the years Lieven ;)
You know i never questioned the hardware itself (been looking a lot to possibly add a blk360g2 to the toolbox because of it's size and good scan quality) but i look at the perspective of software and annual costs which for a one man shop need to be calculated carefully in any business plan.

I like continuity, not changes being made all over the place continuously. If your barber changes his pricing list every few months you would also question it and look for other solutions.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Return to “Leica Geosystems”