I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Attila
Company Details: SmartScanz
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

BLK360 / Drone / Photogrammetry & Point Cloud

Post by smartscanz »

Hey guys,
Any help is appreciated. Ran into an obstacle. Trying to scan the exterior of a home. However, the overall height is just slightly above 26 feet, or 8 meters. With my BLK360 on a regular tripod I’m able to have it setup to a maximum height of 5.5 feet or 1.7 meters. Not enough to capture the roof line around the entire house as I face obstacles on the ground with trees, cars and adjacent house being too close. I know the option exist for tripods that reach a height of 20 feet by Glide Gear and Manfrotto's Light Stand that is 24 feet in height.

I read that photogrammetry is also an option. Using a drone to capture multiple images from above and then having it processed and converted into Point Cloud data.
The two options that someone mentioned are: Drone Deploy with a one time monthly fee of $499 USD. The other option is Agisoft Metashpae at a one time fee of $179 USD.
Has anyone used any of these softwares to convert photos capture from a drone and then having them processed (converted) to point cloud?

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks.
genericodefault
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: gabriel ruiz
Company Details: Opossum
Company Position Title: CEO

Re: BLK360 / Drone / Photogrammetry & Point Cloud

Post by genericodefault »

as far as i know... metashape cant mix Lidar & Photogrammetry.

The only software that could do the job "or at least what we use" is Bentley & Reality Capture".

First one is expensive, the other one... you could use PPI or contact with some companies that can process your data.

hope that helps a little bit.
smartscanz
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by smartscanz »

Thanks for the feedback. I just looked at Bentley & Reality Capture. Wow... starting at $3,400 USD is a bit steep for the project I'm scanning. Appreciate your help.
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Skype Name: -
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Ioannis »

smartscanz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:58 am Thanks for the feedback. I just looked at Bentley & Reality Capture. Wow... starting at $3,400 USD is a bit steep for the project I'm scanning. Appreciate your help.
Ι sell one license at a very good price.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

smartscanz wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:13 pm Hey guys,
Any help is appreciated. Ran into an obstacle. Trying to scan the exterior of a home. However, the overall height is just slightly above 26 feet, or 8 meters. With my BLK360 on a regular tripod I’m able to have it setup to a maximum height of 5.5 feet or 1.7 meters. Not enough to capture the roof line around the entire house as I face obstacles on the ground with trees, cars and adjacent house being too close. I know the option exist for tripods that reach a height of 20 feet by Glide Gear and Manfrotto's Light Stand that is 24 feet in height.

I read that photogrammetry is also an option. Using a drone to capture multiple images from above and then having it processed and converted into Point Cloud data.
The two options that someone mentioned are: Drone Deploy with a one time monthly fee of $499 USD. The other option is Agisoft Metashpae at a one time fee of $179 USD.
Has anyone used any of these softwares to convert photos capture from a drone and then having them processed (converted) to point cloud?

Thanks.
If you are already working with blk you might try to import the drone pointcloud into register360 and register it. You can use several programs to create drone pointclouds, agisoft metashape, realitycapture, webodm, etc.

Or you can register the drone cloud to an exported cloud with cloud compare.
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager

Post by sim.herrod »

smartscanz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:58 am Thanks for the feedback. I just looked at Bentley & Reality Capture. Wow... starting at $3,400 USD is a bit steep for the project I'm scanning. Appreciate your help.
Reality Capture is the way to go.

They have a 'pay-as-you-go' option as well the full license.

You can play around with the processing for free and you only pay for what you export, based on the amount of data involved...

https://www.capturingreality.com/RealityCapture-PPI
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Skype Name: -
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Ioannis »

The big advantage of The Bentley Context Capture as I use also the reality is the portable 3D VIEWer of the model that you deliver to the client and control his own the 3d model that you create. Every client of mine wants only this!
ScottErnst
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Scott Ernst
Company Details: Southwest Scanning
Company Position Title: owner

Post by ScottErnst »

Yes, Metashape will produce a point cloud from the photogrammetric model. I've never tried it, but you should be able to create an e57, bring it into Register 360 (which I assume you are using with your BLK) and register it to the rest of your point cloud. Capture as large of an area as you can with the drone and get as much detail as you can. It sounds like a cluttered site and it could be difficult to get good overlap for registration. Please let us know how it goes.
smartscanz
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by smartscanz »

badam wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:33 am
smartscanz wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:13 pm Hey guys,

Thanks.
If you are already working with blk you might try to import the drone pointcloud into register360 and register it. You can use several programs to create drone pointclouds, agisoft metashape, realitycapture, webodm, etc.

Or you can register the drone cloud to an exported cloud with cloud compare.
Hey badam,
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately the drone that I am referring to is the DJI Mini 3 Pro. it was jut released a few weeks ago. It does not produce Point Clouds. Or are you simply referring to importing the image created with the Drone into the Softwares you mentioned?
Thanks.
smartscanz
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by smartscanz »

sim.herrod wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:03 am
Reality Capture is the way to go.

They have a 'pay-as-you-go' option as well the full license.

You can play around with the processing for free and you only pay for what you export, based on the amount of data involved...

https://www.capturingreality.com/RealityCapture-PPI
So literally I can use the DJI MIni 3 Pro. Take a ton of pictures to capture the entire roof line of the house. Upload the images to Reality Capture and have them converted into a Point Cloud which could be imported to Cyclone Register 360?

Return to “Leica Geosystems”