I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Carlos Alberto Queiroz Junior
Company Details: Dont have
Company Position Title: Dont have
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Quality Control Survey

Post by Carlosqueiroz »

Hi, how are you?

I work with 3D survey using Leica RTC 360. I would like to know the best ways to ensure survey quality. Currently I perform the visual verification and I try to leave + - 2mm between scenes, but I think this is not enough to guarantee the quality of the work.

Thank you very much.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Quality Control Survey

Post by Kruse »

If you have control supplied from a total station or surveyor, always use that to tie back into. You can see error vectors applied for your point cloud to best fit the control, assuming you leave links locked before applying control. If you leave links unlocked before applying control, Register 360 or Cyclone will manipulate the links so that there is zero error when tying into the control points. Your error vectors will essentially be zero. That's a good way to check and verify the quality of your scans and links created and how well everything fits together.

If you don't have control, and you're simply providing a scan to verify tolerances between areas/items, as best you can, you need to cross link setups into other setups where there is good overlap. More links can help lock in setups and achieve/verify tight tolerances, so long as they have good overlap. You can also always pull a tape measure between points captured in the scan (across multiple setups) to verify when pulling the same dimension in Register 360 or Cyclone that you achieve the same 100' you pulled in the field (just an example of what I've used in the past)

Your TruSlicer tool is the absolute best tool to verify alignment and QC. If you have single lines visible in the Z Axis or X/Y planes and no duplicated lines (which would mean a misalignment), you know that the links for the dataset as a whole should be pretty solid.

I'm sure there are many more items to discuss, but those are a few simple ideas to help your workflows and verify the quality of the datasets.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”