V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Clean Point Clouds ? Can't be this hard

Post by jamesworrell »

ecasagrande wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:49 pm Maybe I was a bit quick: is Publisher still software you can use? Leica's site mentions it, and I have an entitlement for it, but there are no links to it.
Probably worth mentioning/checking .. it is worthwhile hosting the licenses on a server, then client PC's can consume them. And a single PC doesn't have to consume all licenses depending on your config.

So Publisher Pro (assuming you have Pro) will work with Cyclone Core - as well as Register360. So you could have PC publishing a point cloud with the Publisher license and another PC doing a registration with the Register license - potentially doubling your throughput.

The opening sequence does matter though - Register360 will (used to?) hog a publisher license even though it might not have been publishing. Likewise Register during publishing.

Have you got CCP/maintenance? There are videos in MyWorld. Also plenty of videos on YouTube around the traps.

So the licenses in general aren't entire packages, but entitlements within a package. So Cyclone for example can have Register, Model, Publisher, Basic etc .. the licenses basically turn on menu options. Likewise in Register360 - with publisher you can spit out LGS. Pro version I think lets you go straight to Recap? They changed it a bit a few months back and I haven't looked at the differences to be fair.

It is quite a rabbit hole .. you get kind of used to it after the first decade ;-p
ecasagrande
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: E Casagrande
Company Details: Tandem
Company Position Title: Tandem
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by ecasagrande »

jamesworrell wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 pm Probably worth mentioning/checking .. it is worthwhile hosting the licenses on a server, then client PC's can consume them. And a single PC doesn't have to consume all licenses depending on your config.

So Publisher Pro (assuming you have Pro) will work with Cyclone Core - as well as Register360. So you could have PC publishing a point cloud with the Publisher license and another PC doing a registration with the Register license - potentially doubling your throughput.

The opening sequence does matter though - Register360 will (used to?) hog a publisher license even though it might not have been publishing. Likewise Register during publishing.

Have you got CCP/maintenance? There are videos in MyWorld. Also plenty of videos on YouTube around the traps.

So the licenses in general aren't entire packages, but entitlements within a package. So Cyclone for example can have Register, Model, Publisher, Basic etc .. the licenses basically turn on menu options. Likewise in Register360 - with publisher you can spit out LGS. Pro version I think lets you go straight to Recap? They changed it a bit a few months back and I haven't looked at the differences to be fair.

It is quite a rabbit hole .. you get kind of used to it after the first decade ;-p
This office does not have a "server", other than the NAS which does not run Windows. I'm trying to dig up an RPi or NUC or something that I can use as a ghetto server for now, but in the short term, the licenses are installed on the laptop I mentioned in a floating license server (I avoided the nodelocked one, mostly because it had the word "locked" in it). Running Register 360 on any PC in the office borrows a license off the laptop server, once you point to it. I did acquire a license off the laptop using the new-to-me PC I found, but I haven't checked if the Publisher-enabled features work on that PC as well, but I'd assume it does. The tablet seems to be happy generally, since it only asked for a license twice, one time where it did not have access to the "server".

I do have access to myWorld, and we have maintenance for a year. I lose my Publisher (non-pro) license on the 22nd though, so at that point (hopefully before that), we will have to have the conversation about what licenses I actually "need", which is why I am REALLY trying to get on top of figuring this stuff out. When I added the Publisher entitlement, I originally didn't notice that the LGS option is no longer greyed, along with the JetStream Enterprise option, but I have no idea what that is. For your information, I can go straight to RCP with Register 360, without having the Publisher entitlement. Not sure if that feature is enabled by some other license I have.

It sounds like quite the rabbit hole for sure. I figure a month from now, I'll basically know everything, so that'll be nice ;).
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

ecasagrande wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:03 am When I added the Publisher entitlement, I originally didn't notice that the LGS option is no longer greyed, along with the JetStream Enterprise option, but I have no idea what that is.
Start with an LGS-vs-non-LGS usage in Revit (?) via Cloudworx (for the LGS) and see the difference.

Our general workflow is to publish an LGS only - we keep this as well as a backup to the original Cyclone data. You can re-import LGS.

So you publish LGS. Open LGS in Cloudworx plug-in in Revit. There is also the free Jetstream Viewer. This can open LGS. No Recap in sight.

For external clients we can/do run RCS/RCP.

For your comparison - compare the speed and functionality etc of Revit + Cloudworx + LGS vs Revit + Recap.

The software on subscription when you look at it from a daily rate point of view isn't terrible - but I'd never complain if they drop it. I'd especially like to see a Cloudworx Revit Standard - that would allow LGS but forego some of the modelling tools. This might make it more attractive to some of our external clients.

Jetstream Server is just that - basically you publish the LGS'ish to a central server and can consume on demand.

NOTE: don't link in the LGS from a central share (eg your NAS) - run it local (c-drive etc). You can get some whacky things going on with coordinates.

Usual story .. run local SSD.
TimJervis
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Tim Jervis
Company Details: Global Survey
Company Position Title: Business Development Manager

Post by TimJervis »

Detect moving objects - right click the bundle on the left:

Picture1.png

and the find smooth surfaces is on the top right in the bundle view:

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Tim
ecasagrande
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: E Casagrande
Company Details: Tandem
Company Position Title: Tandem

Post by ecasagrande »

NOVAMECH wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:44 am Get a ZF Scanner - Simple
LOL, just saw this one: your suggestion is to spend $100k on something that I still don't know how to use? I'm not looking to get laughed at and then fired :).
Carbix
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Loney
Company Details: Excelsior Measuring
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Carbix »

Email me and we can do a zoom meeting. Happy to help you get started.
Daniel Loney - Owner
Excelsior Measuring inc.
Vancouver - Okanagan - Calgary
www.ExcelsiorLevel.com
ibach
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: ivor
Company Details: bach
Company Position Title: director owner
Skype Name: ibach

Post by ibach »

Have you tried POINTFUSE?

I had the pretty similar situation as you, and still have it.
There was an earthquake in Zagreb and a lot of work is to be done. We have no scanner at all, so the input data is bare drone 48 MP pictures, the GPS data was so poor that it was best ti ignore it completely.
The funds are non existent so we have to stick to toys instead of the real tools. The drone is DJI Mavic 2 and the only good measurement tools are the compass, laser meter for the distances, pen and paper and the poor GPS data the drone has captured. (Thank good that I have a lot of XP in measuring historic buildings with last century manual equipment. That has helped a lot.)

I am an expert in photogrammetry and have obtained satisfactory results in Agisoft, but cleaning the clouds and meshing are real nightmare.
Pointfuse is the only software that did the job well. Trust me on that one, I have tried them all.
Actually, Pointfuse is the only software that has managed to open the files of such monstrous sizes fast enough to be useful in processing at all, and it did a great job in meshing cleaning and classification of such noisy and scattered point clouds straight out of the box.

Please contact me, we have plenty to talk about if you relay need help on this.

PS: I have attached an example of the point cloud. It was done in about 48 hours of opening the point cloud and it did take few hours to open it. PC specs are as follows: Hewlett-Packard HP Z620 Workstation with 96 GB of ram, 2x OctalCore Intel Xeon E5-2680, 3100 MHz (31 x 100) and only one GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER. It still takes more than 2 hours just to open the file so I will send you the screenshot of the mesh latter.

PS,PS: As I am only doing this job as a volunteer, I do not have 800euro for the POINTFUSE licence and need help saving the resulting mesh as the Pointfuse demo is fully functional but does not allow the export.
If someone has the will and the power to help me, please do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Senior
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Mark senior
Company Details: PointFuse Limited
Company Position Title: Business Director

Post by Mark Senior »

If you can send me your details we can take a look at your trial exports to make sure you can export your work out.

Mark
ibach
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by ibach »

Here is my resulting mesh. Not much, but quite enough for my needs.
ibach
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by ibach »

Mark,
Thank you for the generous offer.
I am attaching the links to my project and the original point cloud.
It will take some time to upload...

It was faster to make mesh my self than to zip all the files and upload... :)
I did it in Agisoft in the end.
Here is the resulting model...

Return to “Leica Geosystems”