Felix_the_Cat
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Felix
Company Details: Lockheed Martin
Company Position Title: Senior Member Engineering Staff

Re: Βlk 360 rent questions

Post by Felix_the_Cat »

Ioannis wrote:Any opinions on the above post ?
Hard to say, because it is a question of what you need to do.

I like scene, but I like cyclone too. Depends on what I need.

The one thing I do know is that everything with Leica is like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ui84_vKpn5s

(Guess who the rabbit is. How does that saying go- if you can't spot the sucker at the table he is YOU)

Scene is a fantastically capable all in one solution for most things. It does, however take a large investment of time to find all that awesomeness.

My OPINION: If I had limited $$$ and was looking for bang for my buck I would seek out a gently used Faro focus3d 130 and an old copy of scene. Goodness I think we paid $8k for cyclone and only got the register module. I see stuff on eBay every day for what seem to be very reasonable prices.

Finally, there are no help files or tutorials from Leica. Really. So you need to factor that in. You have to pay and pay and pay for their insanely expensive glacier paced training. Are you good at figuring out stuff on your own? Just browse through the cyclone forum here and see how often real questions are met with some hurrrdurrr like "well gee, sounds like you could use some training!" So could we all. Who's payin?

No easy answers. Just another internet idiot's advice.
kevin.spear
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: KEVIN SPEAR
Company Details: Synergis technologies
Company Position Title: Application Consultant
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Βlk 360 rent questions

Post by kevin.spear »

Sorry for being late to this conversation. Whether its the BLK or the P40, you will need to understand the limitations of the machine as well as what content is needed. This is no different than using GPS and total stations. You can use the BLK without targets. If we're scanning an open floor plan with little to no equipment, there will be lots of overlap with the setup locations being far apart.

However, if there is manufacturing equipment in the space and we're only looking for the mass shape of large equipment, you will likely need roughly the same number of setups using a P40 as you would a BLK. If we're looking for 1/2 inch tubing/conduit within that same space, now I likely need double the BLK setups and likely still not enough overlap to capture the desired content.

Would I use the BLK in the same situations as the P40? rarely actually. Would I use the P40 in the same situations as the BLK? Maybe, maybe not. Actually, I would probably use the new RTC360 that was just released for most cases.

It is true, Cyclone is not an application with an intuitive interface. That is obvious the first time you launch it. That said, Register 360 and the register field app for the RTC360 are far better than recap or anything else I've come across to register, clean and produce a unified point cloud. For me, I only need the original Cyclone for modeling pipes and steel members in the scan. I actually encourage clients to utilize the point cloud itself and not the modeled content. But that's a topic for another thread.... :)

Return to “Leica Geosystems”