mathib
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mathias Bonduel
Company Details: University of Leuven
Company Position Title: Researcher

Register360 - Cyclone compatibility issues

Post by mathib »

Hi! We have both regular Cyclone 9.2.1 and Register 360. For one project, we used Cyclone to register the first parts (Register 360 was not available then). Then in a second part of the project, we used the new BLK together with Register 360, to register the new scans. We hoped - as stated in the documentation - that both Cyclone and Register 360 would be compatible to exchange constraints as both parts of the project now have to be aligned and registered together. We tried to import the Register 360 project into Cyclone 9.2 ("import register 360 project"), but for some reason, the constraints are not included.

When checking the registered scans of Register 360 in Cyclone, they look OK when just viewing in a model space. The problem is that no constraints are exchanged. When running the ICP on a test sample with 15 scans from Register 360 imported in Cyclone, Cyclone could not find the constraints between twee scans, causing it to stop. When viewing these two scans, they seem to be rotated for more than 90°. There are no symmetrical parts in the scanned room that can cause this rotation and in the model space view, they looked OK.

Any ideas how to import constraints from Register 360 to Cyclone? Is this a bug or are we just missing something?

Used software:
Leica Cyclone v9.2.1 (complete license)
Leica Register 360 v1.4.1
Gcutting
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Guy Cutting
Company Details: Leica HDS
Company Position Title: REGISTER 360 Product manager

Re: Register360 - Cyclone compatibility issues

Post by Gcutting »

This should not be happening. Please post a screenshot of the imported dataset in Cyclone REGISTER showing the full tree of the objects. I would like to see the what is being imported. Also, if you have time, a screenshot of the Registration window showing the Constraints tab.

Thank you.

Guy
freddie@asbuilt
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Freddie Nodalo
Company Details: AsBuilt LTD
Company Position Title: HDS Technical Support
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by freddie@asbuilt »

Hi Guy,

I think I have the same issue. I completed a registration in Register 360 and I have to re-register again the scans cause constraints was not included in the import.
Tookie
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Iain Took
Company Details: WMP
Company Position Title: Dogsbody
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Tookie »

There is an odd feature where the bundles created in Register 360 aren't imported as Groups in Cyclone as you might expect. If you went into the registration and pressed view interim results it would appear to be in-registered. However if you check the cloud constraints tab there will be a list of constraints and if you were to optimise constraints, register and the freeze your resulting scanworld would be registered correctly.
freddie@asbuilt
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Freddie Nodalo
Company Details: AsBuilt LTD
Company Position Title: HDS Technical Support
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by freddie@asbuilt »

Hi Tookie,

I have attached some screenshots, it wasn't registered that the point cloud appears incorrectly in the interim view. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavFoster
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Gavin Foster
Company Details: Offset Services Ltd
Company Position Title: Photogrammetry - Laser Scan

Post by GavFoster »

Same experience here. My Register 360 DB has BLK & P40 data in it all tied in nicely together.

If i import this data into Cyclone then only half of the scan data comes in with constraints added. the rest of the data appears at E0N0U0 and a default orientation. The scans are also renumbered so any field notes taken to aid registration become a little bit useless to say the least.

I did try to export the scan data from 360 as E57 then import to Cyclone. Again the P40 data comes through positioned correctly so creating constraints isn't too much trouble but the BLK data is again at E0N0U0 and a default orientation.

Currently trying to move the data across as one huge PTX file & see how that goes.

Gav
Tookie
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts

Post by Tookie »

Gav,

have you tried just hitting register and freezing? then check the resulting modelspace?

I really wish the constraints, Bundles and targets came over properly. Maybe im missing something but when I use register360 and produce a registration report I dont then want to mess with the registration again.
GavFoster
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by GavFoster »

I did try that in the blind hope it would work.

Unfortunately what i had was 1/2 a project that worked great , the rest just looked like a complete car crash of scan data which is unfortunate as it should look like a church !

I could understand 100% of the constraints not coming through or all the BLK ones not working but it's such a mish mash of partial data / constraints that it may be easier for me to just bite the bullet and re register in cyclone which is a shame as 360 had done a great job and the registration in it looks good.

Gav
Tookie
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts

Post by Tookie »

That's a shame :(
GavFoster
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by GavFoster »

Just in case anyone else is in the same situation I ended up ditching the Register 360 data and reworking the registration from scratch in Cyclone.

The direct Register 360 / Cyclone import db option produced poor results as a large amount of the BLK data was unconstrained when in cyclone. The scans also seemed to have got renamed so any site notes required a bit of interpretation to be of any use.

E57 out of Register 360 then import into cyclone. The P40 data was ok but the BLK data seemed to have moved to E0N0U0 and be at default orientations.
PTX from Register 360 gave the same results.
PTS out of Register 360 produced a PTS file that cyclone couldn't read but Cloud Compare is currently loading.

It's a shame the Register 360 / Cyclone data transfer is somewhat buggy as using Register 360 for the registration is a breeze.

Gav

Return to “Leica Geosystems”