Individual scan transformation data

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
glohr
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Graham Lohr
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Associate
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Individual scan transformation data

Post by glohr »

Prior to a colleague traveling out of the office recently, he took the SD card from a Scan project we were working on. I also had the scan data from the SD card on my computer.

I was pulled onto another project but prior to that was successful in registering all 75 scans in Scene 5.3. My question is: is it possible to export the individual scan transformation data (for each of the 75 scans) and send him this to allow him to assemble the scans from my registration work? This would allow him to create a Recap file (RCS or RCP) and begin modeling in Revit and Virtusurv. Obviously I could Dropbox the entire project, but it seems silly to do so when the project is 10GB and he has 9.9999 GB of data already. The individual scan transformation data seems like it could be a quick solution for this dilemma.

Is it possible to export the individual scan transformation data? And if so, is it possible to import that file or information in a way that would assemble his scans correctly?

Thanks for any advice,
-Scott
nickbobbitt
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Nick
Company Details: Barton Malow
Company Position Title: VDC Engineer

Re: Individual scan transformation data

Post by nickbobbitt »

Scott,

I ran into a similar situation a few years ago when I received transformation information from another program and was told I had to manually enter the transforms of every scan in Scene in order to accomplish this. There was no way to import any type of transformation file. This was back in version 4.8 so maybe there has been an update to Scene since that allows for this? I would be interested to know the answer myself.

Nick
SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: SAttaya
Company Details: Sev1Tech
Company Position Title: Sr Software Analyst-RemoteSensingEngr
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by SAttaya »

Maybe this will help:
1.Right click on Workspace > Import/Export > Export Positions
2.compare the results of the file to the transformation tab of the properties of the scans:

See page 321, Scene 5.4 manual, Feb 2015:
"Export Positions – Saves the position specifications of all scans and reference objects."

Of course you'll have to do copy/paste from the text file output into the transformation page of each scan.
I haven't found an import.

(Never mind, I just checked and it has the needed x, y & z; but, then you get the numbers that the scanner reports as orientation axis and orientation angle, which I believe is before registration.)
Phill
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phillip Nixon
Company Details: SKM
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by Phill »

Scott

A ptx file may be usable here. If you can make individual ptx files from both programs the transformation is listed at the top of the file, and then it would be a matter of copy and paste (in theory) 75 times. This might seem like it might take a long time, but I might be comparable to a 10gig dropbox.

Just a suggestion

Cheers

Phill
heidem
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Martin Heide
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Senior 3D Software Engineer

Post by heidem »

Dear Scott,

unfortunately, there is no way to import scan positions and -rotations via the SCENE UI.
However, if you have a software developer in your company, you could use the SCENE Plugin API to achieve this task: http://developer.faro.com/ You could then create a SCENE App that can import or export the scan transformations of the project which is loaded in SCENE.

Regards
Martin
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva

Post by sreed »

Thanks all for your helpful feedback. I tried the PTX, but couldn't make sense of the resulting output (LONG series of numbers with discernible association to transformation) when I opened the 2GB ptx file in Notepad.
I tried the export positions, but like SAttya discovered, I think this is original, pre-registered, transformations.

Martin's clarification is what I suspected, and I may look into the App process further. Maybe someone on the forum wants to collaborate on such an effort?? Or maybe I just wait until Scene 5.5 is released! :)

-Scott
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

It's unfortunate that SCENE doesn't make this easier. The ability to easily transfer around and archive transformations is one of the things that I really like about programs like RiScan and PolyWorks that include the ability to import and export transformation matrices.

To expand on the ptx option, I've got a small Python script that might be able to help:

https://sourceforge.net/p/tlspy/code/ci ... ptxtool.py

It allows you to extract the transformation matrix from ptx files and save them to text files. It can also apply those matrices to other ptx files in various ways. Obviously using ptx is less than ideal for various reasons (e.g. very long import/export times). The example below is untested and the slightly screwy way SCENE partially bakes transforms in to point coordinates may cause problems, but I think it should work.
  1. Start with 3 directories 'src_scans', 'dst_scans', and matrices'.
    1. 'src_scans' and dst_scans' contain identical ptx files in the same coordinate system and 'matrices' is empty.
  2. Do your registrations and update the ptx files in 'src_scans' so that they are in their final position.
  3. Extract the matrices from the registered source scans.
    1. From the 'matrices' directory run ptxtool on the command line:

Code: Select all

ptxtool extract /path/to/src_dir/*.ptx
    2. This will create a text file for each of your source scans that contain's its transformation matrix.
  4. Replace the matrices in the unregistered destination scans.
    1. From the 'dst_scans' directory run ptxtool on the command line:

Code: Select all

ptxtool replace *.ptx -m /path/to/matrices/*.txt
    2. This will replace the transformation matrices in the destination ptx files with the matrices extracted from the source ptx files in step 3.
At the end of step 4 both sets of ptx files should be in the same (registered) positions again, and of course between steps 3 & 4 you could transfer the very small matrix files over the network.
Jed
Phill
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phillip Nixon
Company Details: SKM
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by Phill »

Jed

Good on ya. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Phill
geowac
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stefan Wachsmann
Company Details: scantaxi.de
Company Position Title: supervisor

Post by geowac »

Jed.
nice tool. Thank you for sharing!

I know. I'm too late, but I'm working in this right now!

It's an app, designed for SCANTRA, but should be easy to do this for the pure registration data too. Give me some more days... I will report when I finished this.

We use a workaround with the "project adjustment helper" app, but in this case it's only possible to calculate the transformation in Jag3d and import the data to any project containing the same scans... But the importer needs translation and orientation of each scan. Not exactly what you want/need.

Cheers
Stefan

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
geowac
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stefan Wachsmann
Company Details: scantaxi.de
Company Position Title: supervisor

Post by geowac »

Hi guys,

here is the promised APP :D !
A scantaxi APP Transformation Copy, readme can be found on the bottom of this page (link is not working here :( )

Usage is described here: youtube (I did not manage to insert the video here)

At the moment it's free, but...
Software development is expensive (even for small tools like this APP) :(

Test the App and report back...

mail me, if there are any wishes/questions (or the support: [email protected]) 8-)

Cheers
Stefan

[changed YouTube link]
Last edited by geowac on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Registration Software”