Align scan planes to axis

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
andoneyoung
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Andrew Young
Company Details: Glosten
Company Position Title: Marine Engineer

Align scan planes to axis

Post by andoneyoung »

Is there a way to align a scan to the global coordinates using a plane inside the scan? For example can I take a wall in one of my scans and align the plane normal with the x axis. The follow up question is can I take a perpendicular wall and align that plane normal with the y-axis? I thought this was exactly what I was looking for, but instead of reorienting the scan to the global coordinates it orients the global coordinates to the scan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... M-t-upUIo4

Thank you!
Andrew
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Align scan planes to axis

Post by VXGrid »

andoneyoung wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:08 pm Is there a way to align a scan to the global coordinates using a plane inside the scan? For example can I take a wall in one of my scans and align the plane normal with the x axis. The follow up question is can I take a perpendicular wall and align that plane normal with the y-axis? I thought this was exactly what I was looking for, but instead of reorienting the scan to the global coordinates it orients the global coordinates to the scan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... M-t-upUIo4

Thank you!
Andrew
Do you want to do this in Scene?
If yes this might be the wrong sub forum and I guess you can do that by bringing in geodetics you have defined yourself.
If no: In which file format are your scans?

Return to “Registration Software”