Scene vs Cyclone vs Recap

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
daz18983
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Darren Grears
Company Details: Atkins
Company Position Title: CAE Lead
Skype Name: darren.grears
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scene vs Cyclone vs Recap

Post by daz18983 »

Lyle

As far as I’m aware and from current experience (someone please feel free to tell me I’m wrong) that the only way for Vanilla AutoCAD to recognise centrelines, edges, planes etc. Is to register have registered them in Recap. We use a Faro device, do all the heavy lifting in Scene then export a finished project into Recap via PTX. This seems to work most of the time but I find the tools in AutoCAD to be temperamental which is why we use a package such as Pointsense.
Ryan
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ryan Frenz
Company Details: Autodesk
Company Position Title: Engineering Manager - ReCap
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Ryan »

daz18983 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:48 am ...(someone please feel free to tell me I’m wrong) that the only way for Vanilla AutoCAD to recognise centrelines, edges, planes etc. Is to register have registered them in Recap...
That's not correct. Registration is a standalone feature in ReCap Pro - no other features are dependent on it (other than viewing registration reports, I guess). All other features will work just fine w/ scans registered in Scene or anywhere else. The only dependency is on the input format. For example, if you import your SCENE project via FLS or LSPROJ/FWS, you'll have access to all features, including Registration (if you want it), RealView (including Navis viewing), meshing, Web sharing, etc. But if you import that same data via PTS, LAS, or other 'unstructured' formats, most of those features will not be available.

Some of AutoCAD's snapping capabilities are based on the same concept, I believe for performance reasons. Some other design products like Inventor and Revit may not have the same restrictions. In general you should always have the full feature set if you import from the following formats:
- native scan formats (FLS, CLR, ZFS, etc)
- native project formats (PRJ, LSPROJ, ZFPRJ)
- structured interchange formats (PTX, PTG, most E57)

HTH
-Ryan
jaredmatthews
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: jaredmatthews

Post by jaredmatthews »

Not to be bias or anything, but I am going to throw my personal preference software into the mix...Trimble Realworks.

After having used scene for about a year (which as mentioned is absolutely great for small-medium jobs of no more than about 100 scans total) I made the switch to realworks.

Scene just could not keep up with over 100 scans (and I was getting to the stage where my projects were averaging around the 250-300scan mark). The software would crash quite often, and take AGES to load in scans and register them. My understanding of this is that it loads each scan station into RAM in order to utilise the data for registration. So the more data you try load into RAM, the slower it becomes, and eventually your RAM peaks and crashes.

Realworks works slightly differently (I dont know HOW, but i just know it does). I am registering projects upwards of 800 scans with no crashing.
There is also visual registration checks you can quickly and simply perform by applying a slice through your cloud at any angle. And unlike scene, if there are minor adjustments to be made to a scan (refine registration) then it does not take hours going through and adjusting the other scans accordingly....only the scan in question.

There is also an export straight to RCP, as well as a direct link to AutoCAD so you can pipe the cloud directly.

For the specific pipe project, I think scene would be more than capable (as well as registration in Recap Pro). No need to get other software suites.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

pburrows145 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:47 pm
tbwester wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:19 pm Cyclone artificially un-levels faro FLS files. It has nothing to do with the accuracy of the tile/compensation/level in either scanner.
It's not that it does anything "artificially" it just doesn't know if the FARO data is truly levelled, so keeps it switched to "unlevelled" so you can do what you need to the data. I've seen many users toggle all their imported 3rd party data to levelled and have some fun registering it... Some just keep a few scanworlds levelled, that they trust, and "hang" other data off these positions.

Each to their own - I'm just happy they're using Cyclone! :D
No it actually tilts the data uniformly on import.

Return to “Registration Software”