FARO Scene help?

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
LeDona D
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: LeDona DeJong
Company Details: L-3 AMI
Company Position Title: Mechanical Design Engineer III
Linkedin Profile: Yes

FARO Scene help?

Post by LeDona D »

I need help. I'm a new Scene user and I’m struggling to get two scan clusters registered with only one corresponding surface to use between the scans. (to simplify, imagine an oversized lid that fits over a box)
I need to do fit analysis on an upper (the "lid" cluster) and lower level ("box" cluster) structure, both assemblies scanned separately at the floor level.
I have already registered both sets of scans separately with success. I then successfully moved the .fls files into a new project and clustered the upper and lower level with hopes to “assemble” (register) them together. (I use Solidworks so in my mind this should work.) Unfortunately, I have had little success. My upper level is registered to the lower level by planes but upper level is flipped upside down. I’ve tried forcing correspondences using points created from corresponding bolt holes but I’m still flipped upside down. I tried to rotate my plane 180° and that crashed Scene…. Several times. I tried to right click on the plane and use the “FLIP” command and I’m not sure if that did anything at all. I also tried the alignment, ceiling command for both clusters but it appears one overrides the other and I’m not able to use them in reference to each other.
My project currently looks like a box with an open lid, hinged at some bolt holes at one corner of my lower level scan cluster. I just want to close the lid!!! So close, yet so far.
I’m going on vacation in 3 days and it’s killing me to leave this unfinished. In addition, my customer wants it yesterday. I feel like it could be a simple fix but I know just enough about this software to get myself into trouble. I’m not 100% with all the “laws” of Scene yet and I’m feeling a little like a monkey with a machine gun...
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
gordonired
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: Roska DBO
Company Position Title: GIS Coordinator

Re: FARO Scene help?

Post by gordonired »

Can you go into correspondence view and rotate them into place manually? It's tedious but that is what I do when I don't have many points to tie clusters together. Make sure they (each cluster) are locked before you do this. After I do this, cloud to cloud registration is what I do next, although it may not help you in this situation.
LeDona D
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: LeDona DeJong
Company Details: L-3 AMI
Company Position Title: Mechanical Design Engineer III

Post by LeDona D »

I have saved a file using this method for back-up, in case I don't get the solution I'm looking for. I have issue with its lack of accuracy. I did not register it cloud to cloud, however. Will that further correct inaccuracies in placement?
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

LeDona D wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 4:46 pm I have saved a file using this method for back-up, in case I don't get the solution I'm looking for. I have issue with its lack of accuracy. I did not register it cloud to cloud, however. Will that further correct inaccuracies in placement?
I'm not clear how many scan positions you have, or the general overlap between them. Sometimes, starting from scratch will actually save time. Try 'Top down' registration first (uncheck 'auto-cluster' box), and see what you get in the 'correspondence view'. It's like a roll of the dice, and will give different results each time. 'Top down' (TD) will undo C2C results, so use TD only for the first attempt to register the scans. Manually drag the misplaced positions roughly in place (if they occur), save, and then try the C2C mode. This generally goes smoothly and quickly. Tighten the range for C2C and the tensions will improve until you have what you need. Once you have it where you are happy: save and compress the project to reduce the file size. Good luck!

Return to “Registration Software”